El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm back with more of my engine troubles. Recently the 305 in my elky has been running really rough. Most mornings it would start up fine and run like a top and then some time later in the day it would start running rough. I assumed it was just running rich but it goes back and forth between running normal to running poorly. When I stop at lights the engine stays on but it goes up and down between 600-400 rpm and when I hit the gas to leave the light it doesn't respond. It goes to about 1000 rpm and stays there for a bit before taking off. Recently as well it hasn't been starting how it should either. I push the peddle down once and it crank it. It sounds like it's going to start but then it just cranks and no amount of pressing the gas will even make it respond. I've had to resort to using starter fluid to get it started a few times. So please help!

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
when it doesn't start....is there fuel going into the carb? Could be a simple fuel filter issue? You may have other issues though....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure how to tell if there is fuel going to it or not. It would seem that there isn't because one spray of starter fluid will get it going. That's another thing I forgot to mention. It runs perfect after starting it this way so it not that it's being flooded.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a Holley carb. Not sure where to go from here. I'm guessing my only real option is to replace it or have it rebuilt.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
sounds like fuel is draining out of the bowl while it's sitting. this would be a bad needle/seat issue, or sometimes a bad gasket between carb sections.

:dontknow:

·
Registered
555 Posts
It's a Holley carb. Not sure where to go from here. I'm guessing my only real option is to replace it or have it rebuilt.
First, adjust the float levels.
Second, adjust the idle mixture screws.

Then see what it does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts