El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed installing a choo choo front end - honest charlie fiberglass one. It seems to me that the car is running warmer based on the temp gauge. The car does not have the lower plastic air defletor on the front below the radiator.

Im trying to figure how to get the temp down - it used to run at 200 degress, now im at 220 -230 degrees.

I have put on a new water pump, all hoses, new thermo stat 195 degree, cleaned and flushed the rad, cleaned the ac condensor, new rad cap, and fan clutch - all of these were done as part of the resto im doing.

Should i install the lower air dam on the car (the choo choo nose does sit lower than the air dam or at least at the same level. Any other suggestions - am i missing something?

Appreciate the advise

·
Banned
5,787 Posts
Yes install the air dam it will help push the air up and into the radiator your choo choo nose could be blocking a lil air also.
Cheers:beer:

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
The air dam couldn't hurt. Not sure it will solve the problem completely. How about some electric fans?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trying to keep it all stock looking.....that would be the last resort.

Im also thinking that when i install the air dam to make it slightly lower than the choo nose to catch more air...not much lower, maybe an inch.......anything to help?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would lowering the thermostate help - like a 180 VS the 195 or is that a waste of time?

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
I have the air dam on my 78 with stock header panel. I also have a huge 4 row aluminum radiator and my crate engine only has about 10K miles on it. Never runs hot.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd put the air dam on it. That re-directs the flow of air over the radiator. Even a totally stock car can heat without it. Don't think lower is any better..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, Here are a few things to try:
Have you checked the fan clutch for proper operation? When you first start the car the fan should spin more then as is gets towards warmer temps the viscous thins some thus freeing power, as the car warms up the clutch starts to connect again providing air flow.

Another thing is check the hoses... did something come loose making your car run leaner perhaps?
Was the timing re-adjusted?

I also replaced the cat (need to keep cat since I'm in CA) and that definitely brought down temps.

Hope this helps,
-Rick

·
0 Posts
Lowering the car will not help in this case. I have a Choo Choo thats sitting up right now and the lower portion of the nose is blocked off. It seems the air dam will push air up but I'd say play with the thermostat and timing first...:beer:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Did you use the " cut bumper install"? Choo Choo Customs made a large foam pad that filled the area between the facia(grill) and bumper to directed the air flow up into the radiator. I did not use my bumper. So I cut a small strip of plexi glass and used it to attach the foam to the facia. I used a second strip to attached to foam pad to the radiator housing. Also sealed up any gaps around the radiator. Now all air coming thru the grill goes into the radiator. I run a 160 degree thermostat and an 18 lb. radiator cap. Temps never go over 200, even in stop and go traffic with the A/C on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the Choo Nose i did use the cut bumper install procedure they provided.

I think ill switch the thermo stat to the 180, recheck timing and add the lower air damn below the rad core support and see what happens.

Ref checking the cooling parts, i believe everything is replaced as stated earlier....fan clutch is new (yes it did help some) hoses, rad taken apart, cleaned and flushed) ....so i think the 3 items i mentioned might bring some help. Ill get on these items in Monday.

??Question related to the thermo stat, does this operate only at opening temp and once the car is warmed up to operating temp, it should be open all the time after that unless the car collant drops below the termostate temp rating - CORRECT??

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Redid the timing today - did not get my lower air dam yet, but i did drive the car for 40 miles on the hightway....seems that the longer i drive it the hotter it gets!....i see the temp slowly creeping up from the 200 degree to the 220 and a little over that. I would think that with hightway driving, it would keep on the cooler side......also, no AVC running!

It also feels slugglish at 55, like its not pulling well enought....

Thoughts?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts