El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i was replacin my fuel pump and line when i got it running and revved it up some i saw that it was spewing crud (looks like dirty coolent) out of a hole thats nearby the fuel pump.

the top hole was spewing it at a good rate when its revved up around 2500rpm

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
The picture won't open. Could be the freeze plugs. I think there is one by the fuel pump and behind the starter. Easy to change. If you can't pull them out just push them in and replace with the rubber freeze plugs. before you replace them, try anf flush as much gunk out of there as possible. it will help your engine run cooler.:texas:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
There's a threaded hole just above the fuel pump. Normally we insert a bolt in there until it just hits the pump push rod. That holds the push rod while you install the pump.

Then you have to remove that bolt and use a shorter bolt to fill the hole. That hole is open to the area where the pump lever and rod are. You can get oil spewed out there.

About a 1/2" long bolt works fine.

Jack

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I cant see it either,,, is the bolt hole on the front of the block?? With another bolt hole just below it??? Like Jack stated it is where the early front motor mounts go and also you can lock the drive rod for the f/p as well,, Matty man

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,080 Posts
If it were a freeze plug it would flow running or not, they are all low in the cooling system, also coolant level would be very low.

As previously stated its probably the through bolt on teh front of the motor that connects with the fuel pump pushrod channel - when not running there is no oil there at all, oil increases there as RPM's increase

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,080 Posts
In the thumbnail attached by the OP its obvious there is no bolt in teh upper hole - Out a short bolt in there and you are good to go.

I remember years ago looking at a Camaro the owner was trying to sell, he claimed everything was fine except a mysterious oil leak he couldnt solve. So he was selling it for cheap.

Went and looked at the car and pointed to that hole and said "There is your leak" - didnt buy the car in the end.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
k gotcha, its weird tho it never leaked before. tho it could be low oil or something. but ill plug it now for sure thanks ya'll.

Even more weird is its never been plugged since ive had the car. and just now started to spew oil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts