El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still have problems with 350/290 crate motor. It stalls when I try to back it down the slight incline of my driveway. It also runs rough at cruising speed on the highway.
It seems to run ok when you step on it.
I've just put a rebuilt CC Quadrajet on, however, it did the same thing with the stock 305 Quadrajet. I've also put in a ECM and prom from a Monte Carlo SS, although it did it also with the stock ECM.
I adjusted the fast idle with choke on to about 1600 rpm. It starts up and runs fine in the garage and when I put it in reverse its ok. When I start backing down the drive way it stalls. Once out on the level street it stays running but runs rough. Once it gets warmed up completely it sometimes misses and sometimes runs ok at low speeds. I really notice the missing at about 1500 rpm in fourth gear.
I was thinking fuel filter or fuel pump, but I don't feel it missing when I accelerate.
I've got long tube headers on it with the stock O2 sensor, however, its only about 5 or 6 inches further back than with the stock manifold. The O2 sensor and the MAP sensor were checked and seem to working ok.
Any suggestions? Some have suggested that the ECM just can't handle the cam in this motor.

Jim

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Hey Jim , have you looked for any vacume leaks ??? have you looked at your fuel filter ??? I had a fuel problem and my car would starve at 2500 RPM's , like no gas with a full tank .. got ride of my old fiel line and cleaned out my see thru filter , runs great ... some of the simple-est things will make our cars run like crap ... Thanks The Geezer :nanawrench:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Jim , have you looked for any vacume leaks ??? have you looked at your fuel filter ??? I had a fuel problem and my car would starve at 2500 RPM's , like no gas with a full tank .. got ride of my old fiel line and cleaned out my see thru filter , runs great ... some of the simple-est things will make our cars run like crap ... Thanks The Geezer :nanawrench:
We've checked for vacuum leaks. I think I'll look at the fuel filter next, even though some people have said if it were fuel related, I'd have problems accelerating as well as low speed.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts