El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys was just wondering and seeking advice, I was thinking of getting my engine swapped from my 305 to 350, I was looking into getting it done at a shop, but I also would want to attempt to do it on my own and I would save money. The only thing is...I don't have a garage or side yard to do so, so basically I have the residential streets haha. Do you guys think doing it in portions it would be possible ? Haha if not what are your guys options you think that would be good?

·
428 Posts
No problem doing it a little each day, DEPENDING on your neighborhood. However, a capable shop could probably do it in a day if they stay on it.

JP

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem doing it a little each day, DEPENDING on your neighborhood. However, a capable shop could probably do it in a day if they stay on it.

JP
Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking , because my neighborhood isn't the best. Another reason why I feel I should just get it done at the shop. Thanks for the reply JP

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Theoretically, you could get it all done in 3 days, making sure you take your time, but if your 'hood is that bad I'd have a garage for night storage.

day 1 - get your location ready, everything lined up, new engine ready to go, plenty of space; drain all fluids, undo all nuts & bolts (including engine to tranny bellhousing, unless you're pulling that too), physically remove stuff like hood, radiators, exhaust, driveshaft, etc

day 2 - push out of garage into driveway, pull engine, set to side, clean up that engine bay, install new engine, connect to tranny and exhaust, push back into garage at end of day

day 3 - start re-installing all your parts, being careful as you go

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
No Hassel engine swap. I think 10 bolts and the front clip comes off with full access to everything. No bending over fenders trying to loosen bolts you can't reach or see. You can always slip the front clip back on just with a couple of bolts and sit the hood on and finish the next day.

Pulled this with the trans and front clip on but get a load leveler it's your friend.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
right but that's a 2 person job unless you really know what you're doing. Robert, do you have instructions for the specific bolts to undo with the locations specified? It would certainly make a front end swap easier.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theoretically, you could get it all done in 3 days, making sure you take your time, but if your 'hood is that bad I'd have a garage for night storage.

day 1 - get your location ready, everything lined up, new engine ready to go, plenty of space; drain all fluids, undo all nuts & bolts (including engine to tranny bellhousing, unless you're pulling that too), physically remove stuff like hood, radiators, exhaust, driveshaft, etc

day 2 - push out of garage into driveway, pull engine, set to side, clean up that engine bay, install new engine, connect to tranny and exhaust, push back into garage at end of day

day 3 - start re-installing all your parts, being careful as you go
Hey Ray thanks for all the info , except I don't have a driveway or garage as of now. I think I'm going to look around to find a spot. But I like the breakdown sequence I'll probably be taking that route. Thanks again Ray

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Hassel engine swap. I think 10 bolts and the front clip comes off with full access to everything. No bending over fenders trying to loosen bolts you can't reach or see. You can always slip the front clip back on just with a couple of bolts and sit the hood on and finish the next day.

Pulled this with the trans and front clip on but get a load leveler it's your friend.

Man that's nice! That does look a lot easier to access everything. When swapping to a 350 is there any extras I would need for the swap? I was reading a new idle stop solenoid ? Unless I read wrong haha

·
Registered
877 Posts
Got a self-storage place near by? Rent a unit for a month.
A 10'X20' should be perfect. Back the car in to make it easier to use the cherry picker.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Hey Ray thanks for all the info , except I don't have a driveway or garage as of now. I think I'm going to look around to find a spot. But I like the breakdown sequence I'll probably be taking that route. Thanks again Ray
you're welcome. if you haven't done this before and in your situation, I would:
1) find a friend with a garage who will let you borrow it over the weekend, thank them with multiple 6-packs and pizza. don't forget his wife (if married)
2) write your disassembly/reassembly plan and STICK TO IT (see wife in #1 above)
3) plan for 12 hour days with minimal breaks
4) make sure you have ALL the parts you need, and that you have VERIFIED they are the CORRECT PARTS
5) run over the plan multiple times before starting to make sure you have forgotten nothing

ex.- drain fluids... ok, what is your disposal plan for the fluids? do you have enough containers? a place to take them to that will recycle? a way of getting them there if this is your only daily driver?

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Be careful with the coolant. You don't want to cause the death of your friend's wife's dog or cat. It only takes a few drops.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd go along with the suggestion of renting a garage or storage unit. I pulled the 305 from mine and installed a 350 without help and it was a (for me) major project. Took much more time than I estimated. I did not need any special parts, everything from the 305 is now on the 350. Good luck.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've found that getting the stock exhaust apart can be the hardest part, so if you plan on headers, you will need a plan to get the exhaust back together. If you haven't done it before, X3 on the rental unit idea.

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
This plus the hood.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
looks easy. looks like 2 upper and 2 lower at the firewall each side, and 1 each side at the front where it bolts to the end of the frame horn
There's four when you open the doors two per door support then one on each side of the bottom of the fender by the doors, one each side where the hood sits by the windshield it's also a hood support. One on each side next to the hood hinges that bolt to the fenders then one on each side of the radiator support to the frame. so I think that's twelve plus the hood needs to be taken off. I forgot I took off my inner fender wells so there's a couple that screwed into the firewall. I use a air ratchet that saves a lot of time.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Highly recommend just getting the shop to do it, especially if you haven't done one before. Not to say it's that difficult especially if you dont have to rebuild anything, however I couldn't even imagine doing it out in the street with no garage.

Side note, why a 350? And an L39 350 from the same period or a newer crate engine? Just curious, you could get an LM7 5.3 and put a cam, headers and a carb intake on and make 400hp and still get 20 MPG...

Just curious, whatever you do just think everything through.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Got a self-storage place near by? Rent a unit for a month.
A 10'X20' should be perfect. Back the car in to make it easier to use the cherry picker.
That's actually not a bad idea. Most of the storage units I've used though don't allow mechanics work in them. So if you go this way, try not to be too obvious.

The details for taking the front clip off are on here or G-Body central, I can't remember honestly which one. This is what the wife and I did to remove the motor from my '87. It's a little more involved, but definitely not bad. If you do it.....take pictures. Also it doesn't hurt to take a 1/8" drill bit and drill any bolt / washer that has spacers / shims in them. This will help get your gaps back to where they were before you started. BAG and label everything and take pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
"Side note, why a 350? And an L39 350 from the same period or a newer crate engine? Just curious, you could get an LM7 5.3 and put a cam, headers and a carb intake on and make 400hp and still get 20 MPG...

Just curious, whatever you do just think everything through."

An LS engine swap, in these circumstances, will be much more involved. The fuel tank will need replacement or extreme modification for a boost pump. Engine mount change. Drive shaft change. Electrical harness change. Transmission cross member change. Find a place for Powertrain Control Module, etc.

Much bigger deal . . . takes a lot longer. Been there, done that.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
looks easy. looks like 2 upper and 2 lower at the firewall each side, and 1 each side at the front where it bolts to the end of the frame horn
Also....1 inside each fender well behind the tires. IIRC

1 - 20 of 20 Posts