El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 85 SS with a 3.4 V6. Have a chance to buy a 1974 350 with trans and headers for $500.00 from a friend. Know the engine to be good. What problems might l I run into? Really wondering about the computer end of it as much as anything, gauges, heat and air etc.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Long story, but everything can be and has been done. This is the place to be if you plan to do it! I deleted the original computer and it made getting the A/C and heater working easier after I got rid of more wires than I expected!

Joe

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I like pulling all that stuff from my car. I also remove all the HVAC since I live in Pittsburgh. I run a duct to the passenger side exhaust manifold with a 8" radiator fan and a motor controller to set speed. I have a cover that stops all the heat in the summer..

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
welcome Scotty [since its the 1st post]
3.4 V6 ??
maybe a 3.8,, but probly a 4.3 V6
doesn't matter if your changing the trans too..
?? do you know what trans you have or the new one??
find out,, and we'll see on that..
it will make a difference on the trans cross-member and drive-shaft length..
you may want a double-hump cross-member if you want dual exhaust,,
makes it easy-er to run the pipes up tight, for ground clearance..
youll have to move the motor mounts forward to the V8 location..
you'll need a V8 radiator fan shroud [shorter],,
and bigger radiator probly.. I would..
the headers may not fit the Elky,,
?? depending on what body style they came out of ?? find out..
if its a Camaro or another Gbody?? you may be ok...
get some answers, and post them up..
heres a trans ID link.
Trans ID

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
the computer will depend on if you have a carb,, or more probly a TBI ??
and if you want to keep it or swap to a carb ??
carb and manifold will be easy-er, and probly easy-er to find..
wiring for a TBI V6 and V8 is purty much the same, the ECM is different..
you'll need a early V8 TBI intake manifold, ECM and throttle body to keep the computer..
the AC, power steering, alternator, and brackets should all swap over,, IF
its a chevy 3.8 or 4.3 V6 ??
gauges stay the same,, swap the senders over, or new ones..
heater stays the same,, just hook up the heater hoses..
none of that goes thru the computer..

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
This type of swap is about as common & easy as they come, but any such swap takes a few misc parts & a little mechanical swapping common sense. Sounds like you're already planning it out, taking the entire thing from radiator to tailpipe part for part in thought ahead of time helps.
I'll cover a few trying not to repeat any.
Gauge sensors swap over as stated, but if you have v-6 tach, it will be off with v-8 & need to be addressed..
I'm also guessing you have a tbi 4.3, which is pretty much a 350 with 2 less cylinders to the front of it. 4.3 accessories should bolt on to 350 as stated. Leave ps hoses connected during swap if not replacing ps components.
Mechanical fan clutch will be too long. Radiator may be moderately sufficient at least to start with.
Most find it easiest to swap to carb which I assume 350 has. Tank will need tbi in tank pump swapped to standard sending unit or keep pump wiring & relay working & use aftermarket regulator. If you pull tbi sender, keep or sell it.
Trans cooling lines should bolt up same & shifter linkage be adapted.
Good to have wiring schematics & most get rid of unwanted wiring .
Anything you may need to know for this swap should be covered somewhere or other on the internet. As with any swap, there are variables in answers & so many different ways to tackle many different issues ranging from as is stock parts to modifying & aftermarket parts. Always figure you will have a grocery list of small items, new hoses, etc. Again , not a difficult type of swap (done much harder with 0 help as a teenager), this depends on you skill level. Misc improvements & upgrades can be easily done all dependant on budget.
See you've been here since 2012, think you know to just ask when needing help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts