El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is the swap from a 229 to a V8? Will it drop straight in or will there be suspension modifications? Just weighing my options so I can make the car a dependable driver

·
Premium Member
9,084 Posts
I remember Reading that the motor mount has to bolt in a different place. I don't know about the suspension.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Upgraded my 81 to v8 from 229 . Power stearing i modified to fit . Fuel pump different . Motor mounts , fan shrowd , exhaust went to headers , radiator is a little small will work , tranny undersized th 250 will work , carb , distributor . Didnt change the springs work just fine . Used the same starter, need a flex plate

·
Registered
10 Posts
How difficult is the swap from a 229 to a V8? Will it drop straight in or will there be suspension modifications? Just weighing my options so I can make the car a dependable driver
Well, I'm starting a complete drive train, and everything from noise to tail including every last inch of wiring from a 2000 c4 vette into a 1987 choo-choo custom, even all that crazy radiator assembly...should take every single inch of space all the way to the top of its rubber nose! I'll keep you posted as to the progress, but you'll probably figure it out seeings as to how you'll probably hear the cursing and flying wrenches echoing from sea to shining sea.

·
Premium Member
4,698 Posts
Did you mean a C5, or did you mean a 1984-96 Corvette?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts