El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 84 that's pretty rusted. The mechanic who sold it to me stated he thinks the previous owner installed a 350. It may just be a 305. When it gets warmer I'll spend some time checking numbers. Now...
I was given an 81 with a dead V6. The body and frame are in much better shape. I want to swap the V8 into the 81.
What obstacles am I looking at. Will it bold right up to the tranny?
My mechanic (not the seller) stated I'll probably have to by an earlier model carb and distributer due to the different electronics.
Oh, this is actually my 15 year old son's car and is going to be a spring time family project.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Everything major (motor mounts, bellhousing, ect.) will bolt in just fine. You *might* need to move the motor mounts on the frame to fit the V8. If your in an area that has no emissions testing, you can just go aftermarket on the carb and dist. and avoid alot of the electronic hassles.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
As long as you use the transmission out of the 81 you shouldn't have to much of a problem. Also use a carb and distributor off an 81 V8 if emissions testing aren't going to be a problem. An engine that is in good shape would probably pass emissions anyway as long as the catalytic converter is good. If you use the trans out of the 84 you may run into problems as the Elkys used 6 different types and not all the crossmembers are the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
motor swap

I had a wore out 83 305 motor,went with a 99 vortec 350 truck motor used the same tranny metric 200 had to change the harmonic balancer,flywheel, went to a electric fuel pump and few other small parts . i used the same distibutor,computer controller carb,exhaust manifolds,power steering pump etc wasnt all that hard to swap out..... 8)

·
Registered
123 Posts
motor mounts and trans should bolt up. Use the V8 radiator and fan shroud. You should also swap to V8 front springs. The distributor should be fine but I would go aftermarket with it and the carb\manifold.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Swap

Thanks for all the replys. My mech stated the mounts should line up, I just need to change the rubbers. And yes, I plan on using the tranny that's in the 81. Prev. owner states it only has 1k on it. Also good point on the V8 springs.[/img]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Swap

We got rid of emissions last year, but they are going to start it up again next year.
It's a joke. They can't not let you drive. so if you fail you have to take it to a shop for repairs.
Then you have to test it again. They can fail you twice, then you get a waiver permit (after paying for 2 tests). Then two years later you get to do it again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
jus to be clear, use the v8 motor mounts, sounds obvious but jus making sure :) lt1 swap is in the planning stages for my 84 231v6. soon as finances allow. :roll: y'all know how that is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts