El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 72 350 and engine temp sensor quit working. Having hard time finding replacement Always told originally did not come with sensor. Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
temperature SENDER for the gauge?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
If you're talking about the part that screws into the driver's head (of the car), they don't just "quit working". What quits working is a break in the electrical line, or whatever it connected to, like a gauge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine sensor

Yes it is it is the one from the block to the guage the wire did break and I reconnected with a wire connector but still the guage is not reading

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
How hard to gain access to the gauge?? I'll tell ya what "I" would do is run a separate wire thru the firewall and connect to the gauge. Cheaper than a new gauge. If that doesn't work, I'd get a new sender (cheaper), but I don't really think it's a sender issue. I'm ASSUMING you're getting NO reading on the gauge. A sender that's going bad will give a bad reading, but noat a NO reading. That's usually a burned up gauge.

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
ground the wire at the sender. Gauge should go past hot. Unplugged it should go full cold.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
all cars came with a gauge with a sender or a temp light with a switch.
it should be in the driver side head between the front 2 spark plugs..

if you ground the temp sender wire to the block, the gauge should go to full hot..
that will tell you if the gauge and wire is good..

you can check the sender with a ohm meter,, if its open or shorted??
if all the gauges are out or acting weard check the gauge fuse and ground..:texas:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did not know about grounding the wire to block will try that this weekend Thanks again

·
Registered
578 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts