El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my engine ticks with the throttle applied, but i cannot really hear it when idling, i can hear it while driving inside the closed cab, So i kinda need some help

Thanks Brandon,

Also how hard is it to replace the carburetor ???

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Not much info to go on,cold /hot/ i had one do that a long time back,and the sound was coming up through the Manuel oil pressure Gage copper tube ! :texas:

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Agreed, need a little more info......

·
Silver Contributor Participating Member
461 Posts
I had an engine tick and it went away after I tightened the manifold-to-engine bolts and the manifold-to-exhaust pipes bolts.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
ok so my engine ticks with the throttle applied, but i cannot really hear it when idling, i can hear it while driving inside the closed cab, So i kinda need some help

Thanks Brandon,

Also how hard is it to replace the carburetor ???
the only ticking i can think of that would be loud enough is either an exhaust leak or a loose rocker, the latter could be caused by a wiped lobe on the cam. the former is easy enough to fix, like many have said it could be as easy as tightening all the exhaust bolts at the head, and checking for leaks at the head pipes.

swapping a carb is also easy, its held on with 4 bolts, a spring, a fuel line and a wire to the electric choke, if you have a hot air choke then its attached by a hose to a tube on the manifold.

mark with tape all the vacuum connections. if you are replacing the carb with the same type then simply note which ports the vacuum lines connect at. if not then you need to know which ports on the new carb are ported and which are manifold, and you need to know what the original connecdtions were.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
A bad plug wire would be noisy regardless of rpm. Sure sounds like n exhaust leak. It only takes a tiny hole or slighjtly loose header gasket to cause it. Usually an exhaust leak at the header or manifold to head connection will make more noise when the motor is first started and cold.As it warms up expansion will shrink down the size of the opening and the noise will become softer. It should also become more noisy under heavy throttle. Happy hunting!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts