El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Please goto, members cars, 5th gen, page 3, humble beginnings and check out the engine my father and I put togather tonight. Looks damn nice!, of couse I am prolly biased. Please post a response if you see something you like or dislike.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Yeah, how bout a little more info on whats inside. Looks like it's gonna be a real screamer! Let us know when you get it broke in how your Elky performs. Really nice to see that you rescued your Elky from a life of misery and are well on your way to making it even better then ever. Now are you prepared to face the ultimate question..."Son can I use the Elky Saturday night?" :lol:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what's inside

Well, I used flat top pistons and factory rods, just plain didn't need crazy compression, nor did I have the cash flow to get totally crazy
The inside and outside has the following:

1) 350 block bored .030
2) L31 Vortec heads with valve springs to handle up to .550 lift(bought
these brand new from GM)
3) Comp Cam XE274H- .487/.490 lift
4) Comp Cam high rev lifters
5) Comp Cam high rev push rods
6) Comp Cam high rev rocker arms
7) High volume oil pump
8) High vulume fuel pump
9) 50k volt HEI-stock is 35k
10) Accel High performance plug wire
11) Edelbrock Air Gap Performer Vortec Intake
12) Holley 600cfm vacuum secondary manual choke
13) K&N 14" x 6" filter with drop base plate
14) TH350 transmission with B&M street/strip shift kit
15) Hughes Performance 1800rpm stall torque convertor
16) Platinum spark plugs

Bought my Tach, new water pump, hoses, belts, ect today, that was another 200 bucks, so my total so far in the engine is around 4k, which isnt bad when ya look at a stock crate engine is about $3,300. And I am anything but stock at this point. The L31 Vortec Heads are suppose to give you awesome power for the buck, they were about 600 bucks brand new in the box with the valve spring upgrade. I think that I have meshed togather a real nice combo for my elkie. SO.....I am off to the garage to pull the anemic 207,000k mile 305, and get the engine area cleaned up for the new heart to go in.

I STILL have to locate a posi unit, as there is no way on the planet i can get on this thing hard after it is broke in with that stock rearend, unless I want to walk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts