El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
84' El Camino

I have been working on my sons El Camino for about a year replacing stuff as needed but I think I have come across my first serious issue.

I have replaced the altenator, battery, starter, master cylinder, brake booster, plugs, distributor, wires, belts, blower motor/fan, etc.

The only major issue the car seemed to have was smoke at start up (mostly water vapor that disipated quickly) do to the water issue I have had my son checking the water level in radiator often.

The a/c went out about 3 weeks ago and it wouldn't hold a charge, I decided it had to be a hole in the evaporator so I went about replacing it. That was Sat., so afterwards it worked, held charge and he drove the car to work and back on Sun. and then went out and drove quite a bit on Mon.

He said when he got home on Mon. it was starting rough, I told him I would check it out later but then when he went to leave for work Mon. night it wouldnt start. So I went out and checked it and it will not turn over, I hear the starter ticking like crazy but nothing with the engine, so first thing I did was check the water it was very very low. My first thought was he over heated it driving all day and locked it up BUT he said it was driving normally all day, just starting rough and when he shut it down it sounded fine nothing weird. So I have no idea why it wont turn over or even what to check.

I would just like to determine what the issue is and if I can fix it. Any advice? Keep in mind I am not a mechanic :neutral:

·
Registered
121 Posts
gasket leak manifold- heads -casting leak????? with the water at stat up check these poosibilties pressure check the cooling system to see if its leaking internally!! goods luck:poke:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bad starter? Pull the plugs and see if you can turn it over with the crank bolt if not eng. is locked up. If you see water coming out of the plug holes you know where your water is going.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
The plug on any cylinder that is getting water the porcelain will be snow white.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts