El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a while now I've been trying to figure out why I am running rich, why i am burning oil, and a few other problems. I have since noticed a few other unusual things like the fact that I am losing coolant and the high pitched whistle/hiss when in gear. That makes coolant loss, oil loss/burning, fuel issues, and the sound of a vacuum leak. Correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that mean it the intake manifold gaskets? I had someone look at it today and they said they saw coolant/water around the intake. And a while back when I installed my egr block plate and moved the egr solenoid off the engine due to the fact that I could not tighten the bolt holding it on, when I removed said bolt it had oil buildup and if I remember correctly it may have had water/coolant on it as well. And I have also noticed a strong gas smell when driving.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Other than the part about running rich, everything else could indeed be caused by a leaking intake manifold/gasket situation.It could cause the hissing, introduce coolant into the motor, cause white smoke and poor performance. Did you try putting a vacuum guage on the motor while idling? You could also mix up some thick soapy water and dab it around the perimeter of the manifold. if there is a leak it will be sucked right in instantly.I don't know anything about your motor, but if it is not hopped up you should pull at least 14-16 inches of vacuum.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts