El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we finally got a warm day here in Ohio so I pulled the car outside and fired it up. Let it warm then I shut it down and went in the house for a bit. When I came back a few hours later I started it, and when it fired up the starter was still engaged and turning is I killed the ignition and the starter was still turning the engine over. What is going on? I disconnected the battery to stop it and every time power is put to it, it turns over again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wires may be touching each other on the starter or the power wire is grounding itself somewhere on the engine.

Id start there. Let us know what was up if you find out!

·
Premium Member
12,123 Posts
The ignition switch is located on top of the steering column, down near the fire wall. The switch is operated by a rod, coming from the key/ lock assembly. So it could be the lock assembly. To access it, the steering wheel has to be removed, requiring a steering wheel puller, and if it's a tilt wheel, a tool to compress the spring under the snap ring position is required.
If you decide to get into the problem, those tools are not expensive from local auto parts stores. A manual for your Elco would help you sort it out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Quick test: unplug the ignition switch from the top of the steering column. See if that fixes your problem. If not, then your problem is likely melted or fused together wiring harness by starter and exhaust.

My best guess is your ignition switch is the culprit. Let us know what happens. On a 1978 Camino the wire that triggers the starter should be purple.

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
the ignition switch and the key lock cylinder are 2 different things..

take the purple wire off the starter,, and touch the battery cable back to the battery,,
if it tries to start?? check the starter..:rockdover:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts