El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'86 El Camino in progress.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this has been covered. Please point me in the right direction.

'86 Camino, 305 is bunk. Upgrading to an LM7 from a 2001 Silverado. Buying a kit with headers for conversion. My question is this. (seriously, I don't know)

Can I purchase an aftermarket exhaust for a 2000-2007 Silverado and use those parts to run headers --> catalytic converter --> Glass Packs? (Going dual exhaust in front of rear wheels)

Im planning on moving from somewhere that thrives on exhaust fumes to somewhere even more hippie than California, and I would like to be able to pass an emissions test. Is this even doable?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1985 Conquista,LS1 w 4l60e,3:42 posi,DD instruments and cruise
134 Posts
It can be done but be prepared for many headaches. I have an LS1 in my 85 that is emissions compliant but encountered many issues. Once you install the 2001 motor into your vehicle it will need to meet the 01 emissions requirements. There are also some issues with iron vs. aluminum blocks. I've forgotten a few details but there were many hurdles. If not for the kindness of an LS performance tuner I may not have gotten it done.
Consider finding/calling/visiting an emissions technical center and visiting with an expert on getting the vehicle to pass. You can probably google form DR2365 form and see a little of what it takes to pass.
You might do a little reading on the EROD engine setup as it is/can be an emissions compliant setup.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Some of the things you need for these later year El Camino vehicles might need to be fabricated from scratch though you won't really know until you try. The beauty of doing an LS swap on an A-body EC is that the aftermarket has kits and parts that make it easier . . . but still not easy.

Why not drop in another small block non LS engine? This is far easier, less expensive and it would be a very nosy and knowledgeable emissions check station that would ever know the difference.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Work has been crazy, sorry for the late reply.

The 86 EC is a G-body, so I just need to find headers that will fit an LM7 engine into that frame. I have found (a crash lost all my saved links goddamnit) full exhaust systems for that specific engine for relatively cheap, and I was hoping that the components would be cut and paste to fit what I wanted. (plus the cost of the glass packs...)

Seeing as how the base LM7 puts out about 2x the hp of the 305, Im not too worried about any hp loss from having a cat between the header and the resonator, and thought it would be pretty nice to be able to smog it to be a daily driver. But like I said, I dont know enough about it to know if making it smog compliant (lets say CA emissions standards) would ruin that low burble, and angry bark that Im looking for. Planning on dual exhaust in front of the rear tires, but can go straight out the back if it has to.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Before you proceed much farther here, I strongly suggest that you review the emissions control laws of your state. I'd hate to see you waste a bunch of money on a swap that the referee won't approve.

Rick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As I understand it, I will need to meet the emissions requirements for the model year of the engine. I can get aftermarket cats to put inline on the new dual exhaust, so Im going to do that, and cross my fingers and hope for the best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts