El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its going to be awhile before i get my engine done, in the mean time I was hoping to add some weight to the front end of the frame to compress the springs down and save the newly installed bumpers in the control arms. just need a ball park weight of the small block engine assy. thanks guys/gals

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
I think 500 pounds should do it. If you can't come up with something that heavy I might be able to persuade my mother-out-law to come to your place and car sit for you.

·
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol now that's funny right there. Thanks that sounds about right.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Engine long block minus accessories is 300 pounds.
I'm the expert lately,scrapped 4 engines in the last few weeks.:secret:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
My guess would be: 575lbs. for a complete sbc (power steering pump, smog, etc.), 525lbs. complete engine w/ aluminum heads, 420lbs. for a long block w/iron heads.

Doug

·
Senior Member Participating Member
825 Posts
My mother in law is available too!:yell:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
575 for a dressed all iron headed sbc give or take a little depending on the particular accesories used

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
According to the Specs I have - for example:
1966 L30 - 327 (dry wt. w/ clutch) 622lb
1978 L48 - 350 (dressed / dry) 622.4 lb
1978 L82 - 350 hi-perf (dressed/dry) 640.70 lb

so somewhere in the vicinity of 600#

·
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the input, i went ahead and made spring compressor using 9/16 b7 all thread cut about 17" long and had a buddy machine some 3.5" dia 1/2" spacers, then i cut some corded rubber to protect the paint on the lower control arm and frame. put some nuts on both and compressed the springs until the upper bumper wasnt touching the frame. thanks again

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
thanks for all the input, i went ahead and made spring compressor using 9/16 b7 all thread cut about 17" long and had a buddy machine some 3.5" dia 1/2" spacers, then i cut some corded rubber to protect the paint on the lower control arm and frame. put some nuts on both and compressed the springs until the upper bumper wasnt touching the frame. thanks again
Be careful! That all-thread is not the same strength as the bolt in a real spring compressor. It probably has coarser threads, too.

It could break.

Jack

·
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be careful! That all-thread is not the same strength as the bolt in a real spring compressor. It probably has coarser threads, too.

It could break.

Jack
no worries b7 isnt grade 8 thats for sure, but 1125psi tensile or 23000 ftlbs i'm not worried. plus the springs are installed i'm only compressing them an inch or 2, just to take the load off the upper bumpers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts