El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 camino and it has a 305 in it . I want a new harness for the eng bay. Did that car come with the alt? And i may want to go to electonic ign. Do you know how much they cost?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I guess some confusion on my part but I'll try. Yes that car had an alternator not a generator, if that's the question. True generators were used much earlier. Electronic ignition? Are you asking about a HEI distributor? One out of a late 70s car would work. The one's that were installed before the computer ones came out. Find one at the junkyard. You have a 305? I thought those came out much later. Was the engine swapped out or maybe a 307?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
68 wire harness

YEs it has a 305 ,swapped . but soon i hope to have a 327. Thank you for the gen /alt info. It seems the witre harness goes to hook up to the alt on the lt side on the eng,,but mine is on the rt. and i cant see where the air con wires are at. I also have a mish mash for the whole wire set up. SO what i want is info on the new harness custom made i guess . I think it would be cheaper to get the whole eng harness made up rather thango to one of these thieves in town ,,correct?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I see. Yes they reversed the alternator and A/C between the original 68 wiring and that 305 you have. Since you are going back to the 327, do you have earlier heads on it? Earlier heads have holes drilled in the front of them to mount brackets on them. You then can mount the alternator back on the left side and the wiring will be a lot cleaner and it would fit everything. Just a suggestion if I was doing this. Everyone has their own ideas and ways of doing things.
Unless there's a reason behind using the 327, I would go with a 350. Parts for the rebuild are usually cheaper.
I would use pre-69 heads with the drilled out bosses on them to accept the original style brackets.
I would go with an internally regulated SI style alternator out of a later vehicle and dump the mechanical regulator.
I would set it up with an HEI distributor.
You can get an original engine harness from M & H. They can modify it if you tell them when you order it. Modify it for both the HEI distributor and the SI alternator.
www.wiringharness.com

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
68 wiring

Thank you sir . I caught this one late . I think your right about a 350 and i bought a parts car elcamino 85,and i think its a 305 ,so thats not helpin. I do want the int regulator and HEI system and the custom wiring system. I will look up the site and talk to them. I have 327 painted on the hood ,ahha . Now i have to dig for some heads . Thanks alot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts