El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, Ive started having an issue with my 1967 elco, 283 engine. After about a 45 minute drive I will stop for snacks or what not and shut my truck off. When I come back a few minutes later to turn it back on it won't start back up. It turns over fine but just will not fire. After about 20 minutes or so it will finally fire but barely, I have to really push down on the gas pedal to get it to fire. Not sure what has happened or what is going on. I didn't have this issue last year. I've been told to buy some high temp pipe insulation for the gas line from the fuel pump to the carb as the temp of the engine may be boiling the fuel?? Have any of you had this problem with your Elco's ??

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Having same problem with my 73. The problem is with the coil being worn out. Symptoms were the same for me. Start no problem. Drive no problem. But stop somewhere and it will not restart. We decided to upgrade to MSD ignition system that we took off another car. But you can replace with a new distributor for maybe $120. Just make sure you know where your cable sequence goes and where the rotor should point.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Having same problem with my 73. The problem is with the coil being worn out. Symptoms were the same for me. Start no problem. Drive no problem. But stop somewhere and it will not restart. We decided to upgrade to MSD ignition system that we took off another car. But you can replace with a new distributor for maybe $120. Just make sure you know where your cable sequence goes and where the rotor should point.
Yup. Heat soak affects a coil as well as the carburetor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
vapor lock / boil over

Got my 77 3 years ago 1'st year no issue last year bad, the problem was would drive down to the lake with boat in toe come back a few hours later car would start run for about a minute then die burnt out the gas in the float bowl I did not know that at the time. I would wiggle wires and bang on stuff and eventually it would start so I thought it was ignition inspection of wires found faulty wiring replaced all ignition components to include switch same thing kept happening until after one day I came home and about one hour later it happened again in my driveway but this time I was able to see I was getting spark so I poured a little gas in the carb and it started right up but had to do it 3 times and then it continued to run. by not it was getting cooler outside but I put in an electric fan no problems until a month ago vapor lock started again. so I got a fuel filter with 2 outputs one to return to the gas tank did not help so I put in an electric fuel pump did not help. So I removed the hood gasket by the firewall and made the electric fan turn on at a lower temp so far it is working. removing the gasket allows the warm air to get out from under the hood also removed the insulation from under the hood. My guess is the ethanol in the gas is making it boil at a lower temperature todays gas not the same formulas as 40 years ago. Hope this helps

·
Registered
31 Posts
For my 68 396 I put in new intake gaskets to block the port that allows hot, i believe exhaust, gas to flow through the intake under the carb and put a cool carb spacer in. The Carb stays a lot cooler now.

·
Registered
432 Posts
They have multiple solutions to this problem so we need some more info/pics of your fuel system and carb. But....
Insulating the fuel line to the carb will help but won't look original.
Adding a return line will solve the issue but might be a lot of work.
Using a electric fuel pump can also cure the problem.
Gonna need more info though. Also are your fuel lines touching the heater hoses? Common mistake.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Same issue happened with the 318 in my old dodge dart sport, drove me crazy. Even went as far as replacing the entire ignition wiring under the dash, coil, fuel lines, pump....

Talked with an old school mechanic at work one day and he said use a spacer on the carb. Having plenty of MDF laying around for speaker boxes, I did just that, fashioned a 5/8th thick spacer, added a second paper gasket, problem solved. Even seemed to get slightly better performance out of that dual plane intake having a more even mix ratio.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts