1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Vendor
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
88 Posts
:p notice its a stang in the background? if he drove an elky itd say "dont mess with me cuz i'll drive through your house"

·
Registered
26 Posts
70sChevys said:
Good one Robert! I hate those kind..especially when they brag about their little 5.0s....
you go run up against a decently modded "little 5.0" the little 302 is one badass motor i have a friend running 12s,YES 12s! witha few decent mods,head work,cam and intake,and the usual little bolt on crap,low-mid 12s all motor. spanked my transam by about 5 car lengths :oops:

·
Registered
165 Posts
76sprint82TA said:
70sChevys said:
you go run up against a decently modded "little 5.0" the little 302 is one badass motor i have a friend running 12s,YES 12s! witha few decent mods,head work,cam and intake,and the usual little bolt on crap,low-mid 12s all motor. spanked my transam by about 5 car lengths :oops:
You can make ANY car go into the 12's.....wasn't talking about a drag racer. There are plenty of kids out there in stock 5.0's bowing up against those of us in modified classics on residential streets...one set of flowmasters and they think they're hot stuff.

Actually the 4.6 isn't that great of a motor when in stock form.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey 70sChevys what do you think is worse those stock billy bad azz 5.0 with jusT flowmaster or the Rice Burners with the ugly tri-wing spoilers and the coffee can exhaust?
On a side note:
Maybe this is just me but my 1983 Elky 305 driving that compared to my old 1992 dodge 318 V-8 the Elky blows it away..... what gives I learn a lot about cars the inner works but i haven't quite got there what makes the 305 better than the dodge? better gear ratio? I am curious, I seek wisdom....

·
Registered
165 Posts
Will7128301 said:
Hey 70sChevys what do you think is worse those stock billy bad azz 5.0 with jusT flowmaster or the Rice Burners with the ugly tri-wing spoilers and the coffee can exhaust?
On a side note:
Maybe this is just me but my 1983 Elky 305 driving that compared to my old 1992 dodge 318 V-8 the Elky blows it away..... what gives I learn a lot about cars the inner works but i haven't quite got there what makes the 305 better than the dodge? better gear ratio? I am curious, I seek wisdom....
I'd much rather have the Mustang...the ricers are the second silliest trend there is. They all sound like fartin' bumble bees.

The 83-87 Elkys had the least HP (145) of any V-8 Elky year...in fact all 1983-1987 cars were weaker than most any other years produced due to the choking emissions crap they were laden with. Not sure why your Elky would be that much faster than a 1992 motor with fuel injection since we don't know what the gear ratios were. The lowest ratio (highest numerically) available to Elkys is 3.08...got no idea about the Dodge.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I'm not much of Dodges. The 318 is a hard engine to change the water pump on that I do know. I also know that Dodge, for a time, was the engine to beat. The Elephant that they produced in the mid 60's was the engine to have. No other Big Block could catch them.

You have to give credit where credit is due. For the Mustangs with the 5.0L engines, I compare them to the bone stock Z28 Camaro. 324 Hp Camaro seems pretty slow compared to a well built 383 with a good overdrive and 3:73 Gears, or even a 350.

One thing about Ford. They didn't give up making "Rear Wheel Drive Muscle Cars", Chevrolet did. Ford produces cars with good sounding Dual Exhausts from factory. Chevrolet hasn't done that since the 70s.

So while I buy and spend my money on Chevy I respect that Ford and Dodge both have done and are doing what Chevrolet refuses to do. Make cars their customers want.

Really who here wants a Malibu or the Impala? They are Toyota cars not American. So what that they say Chevrolet on the outside.

"You can put your boots in the oven, that don't make em briskets!"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thug...

:cool: Just Cruz'n down the road in my 59' Elky, even if it only had a 6 Cyc., which it has a 350...will put a SMILE on my face every time...weather it goes 200 M.P.H. or "Put Put Put"...My Elky is where it's at!!! :p

·
Registered
39 Posts

sure my 87 elky may only have a 305 with 145 horse...well mine has 170 now only cause i added dual Dynomax.. but it still gets going. I ran 1/4 time of 16.798 at 87 mph. so i do have to say that my elky is a pretty quick car...

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
No I can't swear that GM didn't put dual exhausts on cars after the catalytic converters came out. I think that the 442 Olds were some of the last.

That car was not a "real" 442 if it didn't have dual exhausts, no matter what GM says. The 442 was "4 in the floor, 4 barrel Carburetor and 2 exhaust pipes." That was the original swing on that car. I think the original "Chevy Girl" for that car was Marry Tyler Moore. She gave the speech above.

What I am saying is that Chevy removed almost all the rear wheel drive cars in favor of Rice, dual exhausts in favor of cost savings. America is more of a Meat & potato country, not Rice, or use to be and for most of us here it still is. I don't know if the Corvette has dual exhaust or a single exhaust into a muffler that has dual outlets. Most cars after, probably mid 70s - that is a guess, had factory Single cat, single exhaust. It was cheaper to manufacture, GM didn't have to worry about certifying the car with the Smog Nazi's, and that saved them money and they either had very few complaints from their customers or they didn't care.

I love my elkys also, and my 93 Pickup and my 98 ( Rice ) Lumina. They are Chevrolets. Chevrolet has never been short, in my opinion, when it comes to looks until the mid 90's. The Corvette is now the best looking car rolling off their factory assembly lines.

Have any of you seen the newest Cadillac's?! What happened? The Malibu looks, to me, like a Corolla. I would feel pretty comfortable saying that the last two, maybe three, generations of Rear Wheel Drive cars had Single Cats and Single exhaust.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ElkyPete said:
No I can't swear that GM didn't put dual exhausts on cars after the catalytic converters came out. I think that the 442 Olds were some of the last.

That car was not a "real" 442 if it didn't have dual exhausts, no matter what GM says. The 442 was "4 in the floor, 4 barrel Carburetor and 2 exhaust pipes." That was the original swing on that car. I think the original "Chevy Girl" for that car was Marry Tyler Moore. She gave the speech above
Here it is: From 442.com's pages on the 442 models...they had models that weren't real 442's from 1979 til 1991...see this page for details:

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/of442.htm#442%20Meaning(s)

Definition of 4-4-2 from the Oldsmobile Factory Literature:
1964 (Original meaning)
4: Four Barrel Carburetion
4: Four On the Floor
2: Dual Exhausts

The last M-21 four speed was in 1973 and then a Saginaw in 1977.

I didn't know Mary Tyler Moore gave the intro speech...that's a good trivia question.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Many years ago, a friend of mine bought a brand new Olds 442 (don't remember the exact year 73-77 but it had the smog motor). It was the most hideous color green with white swivel buckets. Made me sooooooo mad :mad: because I was the wrench on the car he traded in for that 442...a mint 1970 Dodge Challenger 440 Six Pack with the 727 Torqueflight trans, Dana 60 rearend, Hooker headers, Crane cam (big lift/duration) etc etc. Know what that car would be worth today if it's still around? :cry: Know what that 442 would be worth? :rolleyes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts