El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Event Participation
When I, or we, approach GM, our intent should be clear. They will want a well-thought-out plan for any event to be seriously considered for their sponsorship and participation. Trying to keep that in mind, I’ve thought about 3 or 4 scenarios that we could go to them with:

· A pure El Camino show, with projections of 200 plus El Caminos in attendance? This small number may not be attractive to GM to put their money and facilities into.
· An El Camino show with other Classic GM vehicles invited? A show such as this could easily draw another hundred or more entrants.
· An El Camino show with a selected group of classic automobiles invited – say, 1959 year models to coincide with the El Caminos’ first production year?

Think about how wide a net we could cast for this event – or how small a net we should limit the participation to. Give me your pros and cons to widening the show participants.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
My thoughts on this is it should be done to include other classic GM vehicles, possibly in conjunction with another large car club or 2.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It might be better if we make it a bigger celebration of GM vehicles with the emphasis on the celebration of the 60th Year Anniversary of the El Camino/Sprint/Caballero. We could include sister vehicles such as the Brookwwood, Biscayne, Impala, Nomad, etc(59-60) - Chevelle, Sprint(64-77), Malibu, Caballero(78-87). That would make it a bigger event and GM might get on Board.
Include the B body platform, A body platform, G body platform.

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
I'd love to see an exclusively El Camino gathering take hold, however I understand the reality of organizing a large group for the first time.
Most gatherings start with a small core group. I think we should try this solo and commit to a five year plan. Give the gathering time to grow.

We have almost 30,000 registered members, we should be able to muscle up at least 100 for the inaugural National Gathering! :patriot:

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,499 Posts
[quote
1.A pure El Camino show, with projections of 200 plus El Caminos in attendance? This small number may not be attractive to GM to put their money and facilities into.

2.An El Camino show with other Classic GM vehicles invited? A show such as this could easily draw another hundred or more entrants.][/quote]

I like these two scenarios best with the first option being just el Caminos and etc. if gm doesn't want to invest in the possibility of 200+ elcos in one place then we go option 2.

Granted even though its the elcos 60th which I think is a huge milestone, there are other huge milestones before us 70-100th hopefully we are ahead of their thinking, and can offer something before them!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Event participation

When this event idea first took off I had the big head in thinking that 500 to 600 members would chime in to go to the 60th Anniversary Celebration.

With only about 100 members on hand I believe a lot of members are on the fence waiting to see what's gonna take place before they decide.

If GM thought 200 Elkies were enough to have a show and a place was selected, it would be a logistical nightmare if 400 more Elkies decided to show up to an event place that's not large enough to accommodate them all.

My first thought is to keep it an all Elky show, but if we have to have the sister vehicles included I could work with that too.

I think we need to get that vote count up and spread the word about the show this summer. Maybe more time will increase the numbers and going to GM this fall would be a better time to ask them about it.

Gene

:2gunsfiring:

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
I get all the scenarios but as you can see it is hard enough to rally up and organise our own association . Involving others will add to the woes of making decisions and getting things finalised.
l think keeping it within the NECOA and El Caminos is the way to go..keep it simple.....for now.

·
Super Moderator
2,139 Posts
I agree that pulling hundreds of El Caminos into this event might be challenging. Adding additional vehicles will also increase the logistics. My first question is Do we need GMs participation to pull this off? Perhaps we should consider something small and if during the planning stages it gets big, then we go to GM with it.

My other question would be, What number of participants would GM need to throw some weight into this undertaking. I know the GM dealer in Santa Maria was thrilled when we hosted 10 members in there area. Maybe corporate gives limited support for a small gathering and more for a larger group. We definitely need to know what we are proposing before attempting a pitch but, perhaps a local dealership might be approached to determine what GM has done in the past.

Lastly, in the event that we limit the entrance to a small number, we might solicit participation from the aftermarket retailers. Summit Racing, Jegs, OPG, The El Camino store, et al. That might be enough to get this sponsored without opening it up to other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Mr. Fin you said something about the Dealerships I like. We should go to our local dealerships in big areas of the country and have El Camino gatherings showing support for GM. We could advertise the 60th Anniversary Celebration at the Dealerships and maybe get the word. Just a thought. Gene

:2gunsfiring:

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,715 Posts
My first question is Do we need GMs participation to pull this off?..
... we might solicit participation from the aftermarket retailers. Summit Racing, Jegs, OPG, The El Camino store, et al. That might be enough to get this sponsored without opening it up to other vehicles.
GM sponsorship would be nice and, should be our first choice but, I don't think it's absolutely necessary.

Looking at Summit's schedule (https://www.summitracing.com/expertadviceandnews/calendar), they do sponsor specialty events and, they're opening a warehouse and retail outlet in the DFW area this summer.

We could also look at aligning with another major event like Goodguys or Super Chevy. Or, maybe having it at in the area of a Barrett Jackson auction.

Or - and I hate even bring it up - we could think about having more than one gathering. Maybe one central to the east coast , like Carlisle, and one central to the west coast, like Las Vegas or, in the Reno area in conjunction with Hot August Nights. Obviously, it would take twice the leadership participation but, it would cut the travel distance and might draw members who just aren't up to traveling 1500 - 2000 miles.

Just food for thought...

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,518 Posts
I would prefer an Elky only event as plan A. And I have full confidence we can pull 100 + as we have done it before just having a regional meet when all the stars aligned. Pitching this as an international event, I think we should expect at least 150-200.

However, if we feel we need for 200+ to get the "big boys" (GM, Summit, Etc.) interested, it's worth considering opening up the entrants to at least the Chevrolet sister models (Chevelle, Biscayne, Etc.). While we could consider opening it up to all classic GM of the period (B-O-P cars), I'd prefer to see it at least stay a Chevy/GMC only show.

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GM Participation?

Folks, I agree that GM participation is not a make or break issue with this event. There are more pluses than minuses however, I think. Their possible advertising for the event could be priceless in spreading the word from each and every dealership in the country. And it may be more likely to bring their sponsorship on-board if the show were planned as an El Camino event with "other" categories invited on a well-defined basis. We would headline the event, and the "other" categories would be secondary.

I can't see the 60th celebration piggy-backing onto a large event like Good-Guys or HAN. Our relatively small numbers would quickly be overwhelmed by the thousands of other automobiles. I was at Carlisle, PA, in both 2009 (U.S. GM Nationals, 50th Anniversary of the El Camino) and 2010. Even with 100plus Elkys on the grounds, we were just a dot in the ocean among 87 acres of GM products, and didn't rate a mention in any of the news coverage of the event - even though we took two of the 10 best in show awards. These Carlisle events are the flagship shows each year for the manufacturers, but draw mainly from the east cost. That's my thoughts based upon my experiences with piggy-backed shows.

Other sponsorships and plans to bring them in are in my pre-planning notes - including asking the major vendors to place the event information inside their catalogs in appropriate areas. That's for later, after we have a date and location firmed up.

Planning NECOA events at area dealerships is certainly something we could shoot for this and next summer. But we need to have commitments from a number of members so that the shows are not a bust when no one shows up. If we could get 8 to 10 or more Elkys, it could be good for our efforts. What do you think - will the leaders get behind and work with GM dealership to pull these off?.............Ken

·
Super Moderator
2,139 Posts
Ken,

I am not sure that we could pull it off in California. The numbers are dwindling in the north this year and while the south is growing, I would have to find a leader in that area that could pull it off. Central Cal might be a possibility next year as well.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,499 Posts
Seeing a post, I must disagree about aligning this event with any other shows. this event is about us the NECOA and our elco's.

I think this should be only for the el Camino and GMC version. I think doing this would create a elky phenomenon ( imagine a sea of elcos on the street filling a 4 lane highway for a mile or in park on the grass) that would be a truely rare sight. and something anyone would remember!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Seeing a post, I must disagree about aligning this event with any other shows. this event is about us the NECOA and our elco's.

I think this should be only for the el Camino and GMC version. I think doing this would create a elky phenomenon ( imagine a sea of elcos on the street filling a 4 lane highway for a mile or in park on the grass) that would be a truely rare sight. and something anyone would remember!
X2 on that - it is about the NECOA and the Elkies the member's own.

Gene

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Can we start gathering a consensus on the All EC vs. an inclusive gathering?

I vote ALL El CAMINO! :2gunsfiring:

·
Deputy Director, Region 14
174 Posts
There are 7 different Facebook groups involving El Caminos. I'm sure the Rushgator owns most of them, but there still a lot of enthusiast. Are they invited? If you want a big attendance, you might need them. I know there are some political issues and frictions in there somewhere. Just thinking about getting the numbers up.

·
Super Moderator
2,139 Posts
I am going to leave a vote open either way. I do not think it is clear what the format is going to be until we decide when, where, sponsorship, etc. I would love to see it be all Elkies but, we would have to be prepared for low participation given our membership.

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,518 Posts
There are 7 different Facebook groups involving El Caminos. I'm sure the Rushgator owns most of them, but there still a lot of enthusiast.
Not hardly...:buttkick:. It's more like one and a half.

Are they invited? If you want a big attendance, you might need them. I know there are some political issues and frictions in there somewhere. Just thinking about getting the numbers up.
On the one's friendly to NECOA, which to my knowledge is all but 2 of them, yes, we should post about the poll and etc. to get interest up. On the other 2 groups, well, I guess that's up to the directors if we want to extend any kind of invite to.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts