El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Invite All El Camino Groups?

The 60th celebration MUST be open to all El Camino/GMC variants and their owners - we certainly do not want to exclude maybe 100,000 owners, some of who may want to attend. However, past members who have been banned cannot participate in a NECOA sponsored event of any type - that's from our By-Laws. And we MUST spread the word as widely as possible. Whoever has access to those 7 social media pages should post information that we're going to have the celebration sometime in late Spring or early Fall 2019.Ask them to consider NECOA membership and to come onto our Forum to voice their opinions on the gathering's planning.

And yes, you did catch that I said "we're going to have...", as in we've hit the tripping (maybe that should be tipping ?) point for a GO decision from the National Director - I just discussed the matter with him! There are just under 100 members who say they will attend a gathering in Texas - 86 who have checked that block in the poll, 4 others who have said they'll bring their El Caminos to Texas but didn't check the block mentioned above, and several others who have stated in other Threads that they will be there. That's enough - with about 100 planning to go just in the 2 months of the Poll, we will build up many, many others as we've selected a location, date, and other details! And that number has pretty much confirmed that the event will be held in Texas - at least that will be our primary choice going forward looking for sponsors.

Of course selecting a location calls now for putting many other issues in play. We're going to need a small army of folks willing to work with us on executing an event of this size. We cannot go forward with any event without commitments for event staff - and we must begin recruiting that staff as soon as we can. Who will volunteer as a committee chair for staffing the event? I'll begin helping that person(s) with a list of responsibilities. And that person does not necessarily have to come from within the Steering Committee group. If you have an Idea, let's hear it!................Ken

·
Super Moderator
1,556 Posts
Great news, Ken! :nana2: I'm glad we have an apparent positive participation in effect. Now we just need to get the venue/location nailed down with a sponsor to boot.

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Looks to be Texas.......

so we are saying its going to be in texas?
We can certainly say that the members have selected Texas as their choice, and I would prefer that we state it that way in any announcement we make. Looking at the Poll - which is our primary way of gauging member participation interest - Texas has far outpaced the other proposed venues. The percentage above Missouri has continued to increase as the numbers of stated participation has increased. Texas' stated participation is now at more than 95, indicating that a Texas venue (mentioned as Arlington in previous posts) is now at least 60 percent more attractive to stated participants than the next venue on the list - Missouri. Michigan has lost out entirely. I can't argue with those numbers that make Texas the selection by our membership, and I've said before that my end decision would be based on the guidance from the Steering Committee and the venue with the chance to drive the highest participation total from an acceptable driving distance. The discussion in the Location Thread had stopped almost a week ago with that conclusion. Please correct me if my numbers or recollection is off base. We still need to consider sponsorship, but Texas should be our primary target. I haven't announced the venue to our membership, only re-posted the same information from this Thread to the Executive Committee. However, I've come to believe that the location decision will help to drive our stated participation higher, so an earlier than later announcement will be much better. Members will then have a stable target to shoot at and, I hope, make a decision to plan for going.

My plan is for Gene (he keeps volunteering for something to help!) to begin contacting the members who have indicated their participation at a Texas event to determine how many will be willing to assist at the venue with set up, parking, and tear down. We're also going to need a lot of local members assisting with a litany of chores I plan to start that discussion as a new Thread for the Steering Committee...............Ken

·
Super Moderator
1,556 Posts
We'll have to see where they would allow us to setup our venue; however, I would like to recommend the location outlined in red in this aerial photo of the GM Plant in Arlington, TX.

For reference, use the following coordinates for fast lookup: 32.736393, -97.064281

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,139 Posts
A map of the GM plant in Arlington shows a transporter company called Jack Cooper Transports. Perhaps they would be willing to sponsor and or transport our iron for the event.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I vote an all El Camino event.
I'm sure as the date draws closer, we'll get many more members onboard.
I've been sidelined with health issues, and haven't been posting, but I have been following the threads. I'm looking forward to doing whatever will be needed to make this a true historical event.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Also, I want to mention that I have a step daughter who with her husband owns a vehicle transport company out of Florida.(New Port Richey) I can get with them and find out what their rates will be, and see if I can get a discount for being such an AWESOME step mom! How many tentatively do you figure will consider having their El Caminos transported to and from Florida. Also, if anybody else is considering having their Elky hauled from anywhere else let me know. I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
members have selected texas

We can certainly say that the members have selected Texas as their choice, and I would prefer that we state it that way in any announcement we make. Looking at the Poll - which is our primary way of gauging member participation interest - Texas has far outpaced the other proposed venues. The percentage above Missouri has continued to increase as the numbers of stated participation has increased. Texas' stated participation is now at more than 95, indicating that a Texas venue (mentioned as Arlington in previous posts) is now at least 60 percent more attractive to stated participants than the next venue on the list - Missouri. Michigan has lost out entirely. I can't argue with those numbers that make Texas the selection by our membership, and I've said before that my end decision would be based on the guidance from the Steering Committee and the venue with the chance to drive the highest participation total from an acceptable driving distance. The discussion in the Location Thread had stopped almost a week ago with that conclusion. Please correct me if my numbers or recollection is off base. We still need to consider sponsorship, but Texas should be our primary target. I haven't announced the venue to our membership, only re-posted the same information from this Thread to the Executive Committee. However, I've come to believe that the location decision will help to drive our stated participation higher, so an earlier than later announcement will be much better. Members will then have a stable target to shoot at and, I hope, make a decision to plan for going.

My plan is for Gene (he keeps volunteering for something to help!) to begin contacting the members who have indicated their participation at a Texas event to determine how many will be willing to assist at the venue with set up, parking, and tear down. We're also going to need a lot of local members assisting with a litany of chores I plan to start that discussion as a new Thread for the Steering Committee...............Ken

If Texas is the members choice I'm ready to get started. Gene

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,047 Posts
As a recently inducted member to the steering committee, I also think making it an all Elky show is the best way to go. I also agree with others that we need to invite all Elky owners, not just NECOA members. Maybe that will convince some to join our group.

Tim

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
After a Month..........

I sent the following message to my contact at Summit today. After one month, the Motorsports & Events have not responded as they would have if their intent was to participate. I cannot believe that they did not even send a message. I'll try other avenues - any suggestions................Ken

Alan, regrettably, I must assume from their silence that your Motorsports and Events group is not interested in partnering with our National El Camino Owners Association (NECOA) in celebrating the 60th anniversary of the El Camino in 2019. I only asked because many of our members, including myself, are loyal to Summit and had suggested I explore the possibility. I’ll now focus on other possibilities, Thanks for your assistance…………………..Ken

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
Is it worth sending a message to Jegs or Ecklers? I have bought parts from Summit,l would imagine that NECOA members would have spent a few bucks with them over the years.
To not even bother to reply is a poke in the eye mate,might be time to be loyal to someone else.

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Recent Response..................

I received a response from Alan later yesterday giving me the contact information for the local Summitt store manager. Right now, the Summit store and distribution center is having its Grand Opening. Alan seems to imply that the local manager may be interested. I'll attempt contact as soon as I can get the CY-2018 Calendar publications off my plate, and he has completed his Grand Opening chores. Maybe our luck will change - the good news is that we have time...................Ken

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Some ideas if that doesn't work out might be: Abandoned Walmart stores we could rent out for the weekend, Local schools with big parking lots - use the students for security, etc. if possible - Large community ballparks could be rented out also.
Just a few that came to mind. Thanks

Gene

:eek:nfire:

21 - 39 of 39 Posts