El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to begin discussion about the schedule of our 60th Anniversary celebration. Regardless of the remaining schedule, I believe Saturday should be the required participation day for inclusion in the judged portion of this El Camino show. We could have an early hour set aside for registration of any Saturday only attendees, but should keep that time period short to discourage last minute registrations. If we scheduled Saturday this way, we could begin participant judging by 9 AM, end it at 1 PM, and start the awards process at 3:30 PM. This way, Sunday could actually be a full day for travel or for enjoying the local entertainment and sights. What are your thoughts?

• What about Friday? Seminars? Demonstrations? Ladies' activities? Group activities? Tours?
  • Will there be a Thursday? What activities?

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Thursday - An all set up day(8am-5pm) - Vendors, Swap Meet(if we have one - members might want to sell stuff to help pay for their trip), Parking set up for trailers and campers(if allowed), Sponsor set up, Registration set up, Grandstand set up.

Friday - Registration(8am-7pm), Swap Meet(if we have one), Engine Build(have members bring parts they have to build an engine and have a raffle drawing for it???), Dyno for members?????, Burnout Contest???, I know some others will chime in on this.

Saturday - Late registration(8am-9am), Judging(9am-1pm), Awards(3:30pm), BBQ and Fish Dinner(5pm-7pm).

Sunday - Go home day and sight seeing. Clean up.

:usa:

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,518 Posts
Thursday...I'd say keep it light. This will be a day when a lot of people are still coming in. Maybe a brief organized cruise and cookout somewhere. White Rock Lake, Glen Rose, etc. just to name a couple possibilities.

Friday...meet and greet at some chosen location in the afternoon. Friday night, if we can find a local drag strip that has open test and tune, those inclined can go there. (Ennis, Redline, North Star) While we never had 100% participation, those that participated in the racing portion of the Belton event always enjoyed it and stated that the evening drags were a big reason to come to the event.

Saturday...registration, show, swap meet. Evening meal together and possibly awards presentation as part of the dinner. Also could have a guest speaker as part of dinner.

Sunday...pack up, clean up, various caravans head out. Declare victory and steering committee collapses in an exhausted heap (not together...that would be weird).

·
Super Moderator
2,139 Posts
I would also agree. Thursday/Friday register, food, and perhaps some type of entertainment. Saturday, full day show n shine, swap meet, seminars, raffle etc. Sunday show and maybe a breakfast but, mostly pack-up early. End it by 3pm at the latest on Sunday.It might be nice to have a cruise, poker run, vender/trade show if we can get any traction on these ideas.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,499 Posts
Thursday...I'd say keep it light. This will be a day when a lot of people are still coming in. Maybe a brief organized cruise and cookout somewhere. White Rock Lake, Glen Rose, etc. just to name a couple possibilities.

Friday...meet and greet at some chosen location in the afternoon. Friday night, if we can find a local drag strip that has open test and tune, those inclined can go there. (Ennis, Redline, North Star) While we never had 100% participation, those that participated in the racing portion of the Belton event always enjoyed it and stated that the evening drags were a big reason to come to the event.

Saturday...registration, show, swap meet. Evening meal together and possibly awards presentation as part of the dinner. Also could have a guest speaker as part of dinner.

Sunday...pack up, clean up, various caravans head out. Declare victory and steering committee collapses in an exhausted heap (not together...that would be weird).

X2 I like the Swap meet idea I got lots of parts, don't think the dyno would be a great idea, they take up a lot of time unless there is more than one, ie (dyno drags), slow drag contest, what about the old junker drain the oil blow up contest. venders would be cool if their Elco related. I would think all NECOA members would pre register ( i'll register right now)

·
Super Moderator
1,556 Posts
I think the main thing to concentrate on is keeping this a professional event, without too much of the extravaganza effects (i.e. flame throwing contest). We have to keep in mind many will be traveling great distances to be there, and may not be able to stay for the whole event.

That being said, we still need to make it an event worth the distance traveled. At our Regional events, it seems most people just enjoy spending the time with fellow El Camino enthusiasts: it's the camaraderie that builds this association.

We are on the right track though based on most of the comments thus far.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I agree on keeping it light for the most part but a cruise to somewhere scenic or historic would be cool. I for one really enjoy the shows with a cruise beforehand.

We would probably have to get with the local police for traffic control at intersections.

Also we could get with a local charity for a car wash on the evening before opening day. 5 bucks a head for washes times 1000 Elkies (setting my sights high) should be a good incentive for the basketball/football/band at a school or maybe a church.

:nanawoot:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The schedule will be dictated by the number of the members who have planned to attend and I think we will have more respond because of the 2 year period we have to our advantage for the event.

Thursday to Sunday will have to planned the best way to incorporate all the activities that are planned.

Gene

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
I think keeping it simple is the way to go. Friday arvo meet and greet at say a burger joint,early dinner.Some will have spent a long day in the saddle to attend and will be looking for a good night's sleep. Those who wish to kick on can. Saturday is show day of course and l think that all registrations should be completed before the event starts.
One less hassle on the day.
I did enjoy going to the track after the show at Belton,maybe that could be a possibility?
Sunday should be a social day,a bbq and a beer or two,Monday is home time.
Again that was the program when l went to Belton,we had a bbq at Terry's house.
Show day people are busy doing things so l noticed,Sunday is the time for members to get to know each other and relax.

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Making a List - Checking it............

Folks, I've been compiling a list from the comments received thus far. I'll be posting a suggested agenda in the next few days...............Ken

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,047 Posts
I also think Thursday should be light. meet and greet, and pre set-up toward evening. Friday finish set-up, including venders, and registrations. Depending on the size of the set up crew, it might take a lot to accommodate us at a burger joint, so that needs to be figured out. I agree Saturday registration should be kept short, but we need to allow time for distance drivers.{maybe 10ish)Awards at 3pm, and start tear down towards evening. Sunday, make sure the area is cleaned up. This is just the way I see things, but I am keeping an open mind. I just want a great show with good people.

Tim

·
Super Moderator
2,139 Posts
Ken,

That looks good but, I do not understand Sundays agenda. If the awards and door prize was awarded on Saturday, why is it listed on Sunday as well. And shouldn't we have a membership meeting at some point. If for no other reason than to introduce the board of Directors and thank the ground team for an exceptional job putting on this event.

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I downloaded the schedule, so don't think I'm ignoring you.

I'm going to take a couple days before I jump in.

I also noticed that the Sat/Sun OR part has the awards given out each day.

A members meeting could take place at about 10-10:15 Sat morning after check-in and everyone is parked for the day.

I think the Sat only would work better than the Sat/Sun. It would give everyone a chance to shake hands, clean up and get headed home Sunday. Maybe meet up at the venue for a few hours before heading out? If we do the second option maybe basic door prizes and 50/50 drawing Sat evening and all the major prizes and awards Sun morning.

Did I mention I wasn't going to jump right in?:nana2:

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,047 Posts
I like the proposed schedule without the awards on Sunday. I think some members might miss out on awards ceremony if on Sunday, due to travel. I Agree about a members meeting after registration closes. Leave Sunday for a casual meet and clean up for those that can.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I agree with the proposed schedule but Sunday should be an early breakfast for members who are remaining to say goodbye and finalize the clean up of the event.

I propose that Friday we put together some drive to places(like Bass Pro, new Summit store, etc.) by small groups of members to help with publicity - if people see the Elkies in convoys around the event town we just might get the interest out for the event that way too.

A meeting of the members is a great idea.

Thanks, Gene.

:driving:

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Proposal Modified............

I made a few modifications to incorporate some of the early suggestions. I also tried to make the either/or of 3-day versus 4-day a bit easier to understand - I hope. One thing we've got to realize about any cruises - here in the Metromess and in most any population center - we have to either complete them before 3:30 PM or start them after 6:30 PM during any weekday. Rush hour starts around 2 PM on Fridays. This is if we decide to try for the event to be on GM's grounds in Arlington. If we move the event to a rural location, where we may not gain sponsorship, we would have more flexibility in cruising. There's tradeoffs in convenience versus affordability versus drawing public participation no matter what we do. My current thinking is that we should try for sponsorship first. We could plan a "Grand Parade" for those making the trip to a local drag strip on Friday evening, and another "Grand Parade to a separate location for those not going racing. And we could certainly have news coverage for any such parade..............Ken

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
I agree with the proposed schedule but Sunday should be an early breakfast for members who are remaining to say goodbye and finalize the clean up of the event. :beer:

I propose that Friday we put together some drive to places(like Bass Pro, new Summit store, etc.) by small groups of members to help with publicity - if people see the Elkies in convoys around the event town we just might get the interest out for the event that way too.

A meeting of the members is a great idea.

Thanks, Gene.

:driving:
I like the revised schedule for 3 day event.

Also Gene's suggestion about a cruise. Maybe get several small cruises set up.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
3 Day

I like the revised schedule for 3 day event.

Also Gene's suggestion about a cruise. Maybe get several small cruises set up.

I like the revised 3 day event and Friday some small cruises not in the high traffic time for those who want to see things around the event place. We get free advertising, publicity for the event that way.

I also like the early(5am or 6am) breakfast(donuts, coffee, milk, biscuits, bacon, sausage, gravy) on Sunday for all the members to say goodbye and have a safe trip prayer for everyone. Clean up for those who have been assigned to do it and go home.

As a side note we should make sure that the members coming in to the event and going home from the event get some publicity some way. Those convoys coming in and going home are a big plus for the event. There is nothing like seeing convoys of Elkies. It's awesome. Just a little extra 2 cents.

Thanks, Gene.

:eek:nfire:

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
I'm liking the overall schedule. I might add that an Official Opening Ceremony should kick off the event on Friday, perhaps include the staff introduction and event agenda.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts