84, 350, dual exhaust with Xpipe, 700r4, headers, mild cam, 2 1/2" pipes

thanks

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,608 Posts
any comments + or - on exhaust cutouts?

thanks
Do you just want that straight headers sound then go for it but really no benefit to it with your motor

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
I have a pair of Holley exhaust cutouts on my LS-engine equipped 70 El Camino and I thought I'd use them often but I don't. Sometimes, it sets a check engine trouble code for an oxygen sensor problem when I open the cutouts.

Rick

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
All noise, no performance increase. Usually it’s a Mustang guy ‘blattleblattlyBLAHHHHblap’ through an intersection.
Patrick

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have them on my 65...LS....700R4.......enjoy the noise once in a while. Gets about as loud as my bike. It's your car, you can do whatever you want. I didn't build mine to please anyone but me and I'm happy with the set up. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I agree with sickmick...It's your car...so do what YOU will enjoy. In fact, I'm installing dual QTP electric cutoffs on my 87's semi-mod 350. The cutoffs are positioned straight back from the header collectors and before the crossover on my 2.5in Pypes exhaust system. I have a similar setup on my 92 S-10 with 4.3L and frequently get asked if I have a 350 in my truck.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I also have QTPs on my setup. I welded them into the midpipes after the longtube headers but if I were to do it again I would probably put them after the crossover pipe.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had electric cut outs on my last toy, (a highly modified Mopar), and constantly had problems. After a time they started rattling. It was embarassing when stopped in traffic. I tried another brand and after a while , the same thing happened. I won't be putting them on Miss Elly. I hope you have better luck.

:cool:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I had electric cut outs on my last toy, (a highly modified Mopar), and constantly had problems. After a time they started rattling. It was embarassing when stopped in traffic. I tried another brand and after a while , the same thing happened. I won't be putting them on Miss Elly. I hope you have better luck.

:cool:
I've had mine on now for about a year or so and use them fairly often. With the QTPs I had a bear of a time getting the set screw they use to stay tight but once I got that sorted with a bit of loctite they've been pretty solid ever since. I'd say mufflers are definitely a much simpler setup but I already have one loud cammed car so the goal with this one was to keep it quiet until the cutout switch is flipped.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd say mufflers are definitely a much simpler setup but I already have one loud cammed car so the goal with this one was to keep it quiet until the cutout switch is flipped.
That was my goal too. I do lots of longer highway drives and I wanted it quiet for that.....but loud at other times. It's just noise, but it makes me smile.

·
Registered
329 Posts
That was my goal too. I do lots of longer highway drives and I wanted it quiet for that.....but loud at other times. It's just noise, but it makes me smile.
If that's your goal then cutouts are probably good for you. Just be sure to get a name brand kit. Like I said I'm overall pretty happy with the QTPs that I have.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,603 Posts
any comments + or - on exhaust cutouts?

thanks
Court5 , Not sure which state you are in but before deciding and having exhaust mods done , be sure to check to see what requirements your state has on modifying your exhaust system . If you have the state inspections there may be a question about exhaust modifications you are allowed to perform to pass inspection . Even states like here in Florida that do not have required inspections , exhaust shops are not allowed to remove the catalytic converters . Some will remove them but not give you a receipt showing that work was done while other will not remove them . A couple of the guys that come to our get togethers have the cut outs installed . They occasionally uncork them to our delight . I`m sure you will use discretion but don`t uncork in you neighborhood or residential areas unless you want some irate people coming to visit you . Since you are new , you may want to do a search here at ECC as there are other forums on the subject that may give you additional info . Welcome to the site and enjoy your ride .

·
Registered
574 Posts
The best part about electric cutoffs is they can be opened up and closed in a matter of seconds. In addition to having in-cab control, I've attached a set of turn downs. Now for the bad part...this setup (cutout pipes, electric cutoffs with controls, and turn downs) is not cheap...rough $500-600!

·
Registered
55 Posts
We put elec cutouts on our 1980 . 350 ,700r4, 4.11 Ford 9inch . 2.5 pipes . Don't know if it makes a difference but they can hear you arriving. It does sound good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Antique Auto tag. Buh bye emissions requirements. Here in TN, emissions inspections at Marta are a yearly requirement, a time consuming $10 process and the CEL better not be lit up.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Court5 , Not sure which state you are in but before deciding and having exhaust mods done , be sure to check to see what requirements your state has on modifying your exhaust system . If you have the state inspections there may be a question about exhaust modifications you are allowed to perform to pass inspection . Even states like here in Florida that do not have required inspections , exhaust shops are not allowed to remove the catalytic converters . Some will remove them but not give you a receipt showing that work was done while other will not remove them . A couple of the guys that come to our get togethers have the cut outs installed . They occasionally uncork them to our delight . I`m sure you will use discretion but don`t uncork in you neighborhood or residential areas unless you want some irate people coming to visit you . Since you are new , you may want to do a search here at ECC as there are other forums on the subject that may give you additional info . Welcome to the site and enjoy your ride .
more importantly, do not run them through a residential neighborhood at all. I live off of a major neighborhood t-intersection in a slight bowl that tends to magnify the sound, and can't begin to tell you how many times some ahole would goose his Harley, diesel, or other loud exhaust, either after 10 0'clock at night (especially on weekends) or after I had just gotten the little one down to take a nap in the middle of the day.
doubt that you would do it but it would pss me off no end hearing that at even 1-2am in the morning.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts