El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with finding exhaust systems and was wondering if anyone has any ideas?? I'm running open headers right now but don't have the back pressure to pull fuel down into the engine (lack of vacuum). I know I don't have a vacuum leak or a problem with my carb as it has been rebuilt by me and checked multiple times. I may just call a muffler shop and have them run something but if anyone has a less expensive option that would be great. Thank you

Bailey

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
It still should run and drive with open headers.

Reactions: JJLT1

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It starts after its been sitting and it's very reactive when you step on it but at idle with the cam I'm running it doesn't have the vacuum to pull the fuel down into the cylinders so it pools in the heads and then gets pushed out the exhaust. The jets are 60 primaries and 72 secondaries I believe. Stock holley 650 double pumper jets

·
Registered
12,533 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have fuel coming out of the headers. It's not a timing issue becuase it runs fine and is very reactive. Can't recall what the timing is set at but it's not the issue. The engine after its warm has to be pretty much flooded to start again. For some reason it doesn't pull enough vacuum at idle and Im certain it's due to lack of back pressure with open headers.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Definitely wanna narrow it down, but insofar as the question of inexpensive exhaust options, check out jegs! I've got a generic muscle car exhaust kit from them, and it works fantastically, installed in an afternoon. :nanawrench:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Definitely wanna narrow it down, but insofar as the question of inexpensive exhaust options, check out jegs! I've got a generic muscle car exhaust kit from them, and it works fantastically, installed in an afternoon. :nanawrench:
I've checked jegs and that's the route I'm going towards.. My carb is fine internally it is brand new on the inside. I'm going for exhaust to narrow things down.

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
I agree wiith JJ,Sean and Wayne on this one Bailey,headers and back pressure are not your problem.I'll be interested in your vacuum results.

·
Registered
12,533 Posts
tell us what you have,, what you have done to it,, and what you have tried,, someone can probably help..:wink1:

you might want to check your oil / oilpan,, it may be full of fuel also,, be carefull with that stuff..:wink1:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Headers have absolutely nothing to do with your issue ! We ran open headers on our drag boats all the time . You have another issue.
Agree with that sounds like the floats are to high or too much fuel pressure or both I'd bet your plugs are fouled doesn't sound like a vacuum issue

Reactions: JJLT1

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Exhaust

Nicks Has The Jegs Kit On His, We Upgrade To The Flowmaster Mufflers Very Pleased With System. Everyone At Cars Shows Comment On How They Like The Way It Sounds. You Can See It In Nicks Garage. A Muffler Shop Will Not Touch Your Car Unless They Add Cats. To It. If You Want A Cheap Exhaust Run Pipes From Headers, Into Mufflers & Turn Down In Front Of Rear Ax.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I agree with jkk about the flooding issue. As for exhaust Thrush makes Header Mufflers that bolt right up to your collectors then you can design and make your own tailpipes from exhaust tubing.Thats the way we did it in the 60,s

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Monte Carlo SS had dual exhausts that go over the rear axle. Wagner still makes them. I picked up a set off Ebay for $36 for each pipe shipped :smile: They do tend to angle toward the drive shaft a little when running straight out the back. Haven't got my headers yet to get everything set up. Slowly collecting. 2004r waiting to be rebuilt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts