El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my elco around the block and my head just about exploded from such an intense headache. My exhaust is leaking into the cab and I can't figure out how. No matter what when I start it the heat is on low, is it possible exhaust is getting in through the heater? Also, I notice these two vent valve thingies under the steering wheel, could they have anything to do with this? My brother owns a shop and said he'd take a look at my exhaust but it's about 40 minutes from my house, and theres no way I could even get there if I can't even drive 1 minute around my block before feeling like death is knockin at my door.

Any ideas would be helpful!:dontknow:

I was thinking about pulling the heater fuse, and I dunno, plugging any kind of vents. I just need to be able to get it to my brothers shop..

Mine is a 1979
:barf:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if your car has ac look at the foam seals around where the ac lines go into the ac housing there are foam seals that co away there and let the heater suck the fumes into the cab

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem with 83 El Camino

I had the same problem for a couple of years - always drove with windows open. Check for oil dripping on ground. You could have oil leaking from valve covers or elsewhere onto manifold and entering the passenger compartment thru the ventilation system. My problem was corrected.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
look for a fiberglass housing against the firewall the heater only cars have a steel cover plate that is close to the firewall. the ac one sticks out about a foot

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just took it to a muffler place, they took the muffler off and put a strait pipe on it. Sounds much better and no more exhaust. The dude had me come look at it when he had it up on the hoist and showed me that the muffler was basically facing right at the wheel, and the exhaust was running back along the undercarriage of the car and seaping up through the holes and into the passenger side window.
This place is only a block from my house and I just got back so I haven't fully tested it for intoxication factor, but during the exhaust inspection we ALSO found a 4 inch CRACK in the engine block!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
BUT luckily he said it's in a spot that CAN be welded, he suggested a new block, but if I needed it welded he could do it but it would cost about 250 pff damnit...
At least now I know where my water has been going, and that a new radiator isn't going to fix that problem! One problem down, another one up I guess. but still glad I found that, and clarity is worth a lot to my noob mechanical skills. It was the first time I had it on a hoist since I got it so it's not fully unexpected, I did think there would be some answers once I got it up. Oh well, guess its just one more thing to start saving $ for.. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts