El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be looking to remove my headers and go back to stock exhaust manifolds - in order to get an AC compressor to fit and get rid of the air pump and related plumbing. The engine is an 83 305. Will most any small block manifolds fit or do I need to be looking for specific years/series?

Thanks

Les

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
there are cast iron manifolds that have bigger passages in them, 2.25 or 2.5 in. IIRC they were on mid 80 pickups, but not sure. They DO exist, and maybe someone else can remember what they came on.

:dontknow:

·
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Looks like it's time to start hanging out at the local pick-and-pulls

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
What manifolds will I need to fit the vortec heads, I've decided to go back with manifolds. To change spark plugs on pass side had to drop header and the rear bolt was a real pita. Now have exhaust leak:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,047 Posts
What manifolds will I need to fit the vortec heads, I've decided to go back with manifolds. To change spark plugs on pass side had to drop header and the rear bolt was a real pita. Now have exhaust leak:let_it_all_out:
Having to drop the header to get to the back plug is inexcusable, I've never seen one that aweful, though I have to admit it doesnt surprise me too much. I posted on a similar thread here about headers

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I looked up on Summit and found Dorman makes manifold for my moter pt # 674-217 and 674-218 I will be looking at going that route sometime. the rear bolt on the pass side was the hardest one to get out couldn't get a wrench in with all the A/C there. I could not get a spark plug socket on the 3rd plug on pass side (can't remember if it is #5 or #6) so I had to move the header up and to the front to get where I could get it out.

·
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can't see Buying New

You can buy them New from NAPA Online...
I can't see buying new - they run more than $300 for the pair - when there are tons of used SBC parts out there. There are a couple on the local Craigs List for $50 and $90 per pair. I just don't know if all versions will fit or, if some are a better fit than others. :???:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree. My Pass side bolts keep backing off. They are PITA to get to to tighten back up.

·
0 Posts
Are you guys serious about going back to manifolds?! That's just giving up in my book. I run Hedmans and there's a solution for all the problems you guys are having!
First,I have a 3/8 wrench I cut in half to hit the rear bolts if needed. I used thread locker on the bolts so they never back out unless I break the hold. Also I use 2 gaskets so no leaks happen. There's a copper on the block backed with an aluminum gasket. Those methods worked and I'm driving it daily since the headers were put on in 2010. As for the passenger plug near the firewall,its easier to either use a long extension and go between the tire and fender or go under the car and change it from the bottom.:nanawrench:

·
Banned
57 Posts
I may be looking to remove my headers and go back to stock exhaust manifolds - in order to get an AC compressor to fit and get rid of the air pump and related plumbing. The engine is an 83 305. Will most any small block manifolds fit or do I need to be looking for specific years/series?

Thanks

Les
There are headers that will fit to get an AC compressor into your car. I have a big block in my El Camino and still have the AC system still in tact.

·
0 Posts
There are headers that will fit to get an AC compressor into your car. I have a big block in my El Camino and still have the AC system still in tact.
Sure are! My compressor is there and I ain't running shorty headers...

·
0 Posts
But you ARE running a serpentine set up on your elky - big difference between that and a V-belt set up
I had a compressor on my 355 v belt engine when I got the headers. Seemed easy to me. Or maybe I was determined not to let those headers kick my a$$.:dontknow:

·
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
C10 Manifold Fit?

Mine are from an '83 C10.
I found a guy on Craigslist that has a set off an 85 C10 but, looking at pictures, those are routed below the spark plugs. It looks like they would come really close to the motor mounts. Is there clearance? I would much rather use that style than the stock Elky manifold that run above the plugs.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts