El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok since this is my first elkie, I am getting the exhaust put on BEFORE i put the engine in, using same type of manifolds only ones i am using have been polished in the exhaust ports, so....which looks better, exhaust exiting in front of the back tire, or out the back like stock only 1 on each side?

·
Registered
40 Posts
depends on what you like for the most part...
me, i'd go with out the back, but i can see how some side-pipes, like on the early 'vettes would look nice, or a set of ground-effects with a cut-out for the tip would be nice, such as on Eleanor on Gone in 60 seconds, but just having the tips in front of the rear tires.... eh, i don't know about that...
not quite sure, but i think that there might be a problem if the engine isn't in there, don't they usually line up everything by mocking it up?
my $0.02
good luck!

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
A lot of people got the American Thunder exhaust system from FLow Master. You can get the set up with or without mufflers, in case you don't care for the FlowMaster Brand mufflers.

The system I got was for the 72 Chevelle/El Camino and used it on the 76, and the 80 Elkys. It is a complete header back system 2.5" pipes, mandrel bends and all. They exit out the under the bumper. DynoMax makes an exhaust that exits out the side of the car in front of the tires. DynoMax also make the SidePipes or Lake Pipes as they use to be called.

Tons of options out there if you look around long enough. The AT System from FloMaster cost me almost 300 with the mufflers. Came with everything I needed to hang them and connect them. I had to drill 6 holes for the 4 hangers that was it. On the 76 it took about four hours or so including removing the old exhaust.

Good luck on the hunt!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Would the flowmaster system really fit '78-87 el caminos? how does this system handle the transmission crossmember that is usually a problem with dual exhuast on 78-87?? ive been looking for a good exhaust for my 78 for a while, but my local shop quotes me at $450-550 :(

·
Registered
573 Posts
The crossmember has always been an issue for a true dual exhaust---I just bought a crossmember from G-force with a double hump for the exhast--it is the second one I have purchased and the part is outstanding --check it out on the net or the home page here---it is outstanding-Pete NYC

·
Banned
881 Posts
ElkySS said:
Here's a third option...behind the rear tires
That's how my 87 is, but the pipes exit on a 45 degree angle. If you're going to go with true duals, buy the www.crossmsmbers.com transmission crossmember. I've bought three of them and as Pete said "...it is outstanding". (They also sell dual exhausts)

Then bring your Elky to a good muffler shop and have them bend up a custom aluminized dual exhaust for you.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I am pretty sure if you go to the bone yard you can use a cross member out of a 73 or earlier Chevelle, El Camino or Station Wagon and they are dual hump. However, I also got a cross member at G-Force. ** Just didn't want to be different! 8O :lol:

Not really I had to get a different cross member I went to a 700R4 tranny and didn't want to go through figuring out the new mount points etc... So I bought one that is a direct bolt on. :? They are really good, probably out last the truck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
IY REALLY DOES DEPEND ON YOUR TASTE.GENERALLY ANYTHING IN FRONT OF THE TIRES WILL BE LOUDER,BEING CLOSER TO THE DRIVER. OUT THE BACK WON'T BOUNCE OFF CURBS,BRIDGES ETC.IT MAKES IT HARDER TO HEAR THOSE 20 SOMETHING YEAR OLD GREMLINS THAT WAKE UP FROM TIME TO TIME.I'VE HAD BOTH,BUT REALLY LIKE THEM BEHIND THE TIRES.WE 'RE ALL DIFFERENT WITH DIFFERENT TASTES,THATS WHAT MAKES THIS GREAT! GOOD LUCK !!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts