El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! So I recently purchased my dream car a few weeks ago but have been dealing with a problem. It’s a 65 and has 2 inch drop spindles with coil overs. It has a custom exhaust that only has 3 inches of ground clearance and scrapes when going down my driveway or over speed bumps. Should I just remove the drop spindles? Should I install an adjustable air ride suspension kit? Thanks for reading/replying

·
Premium Member
9,356 Posts
Hi Greengiant, welcome from Idaho. Glad you've joined us. Thank you for your introduction. Where abouts are you located? Looking forward to seeing pictures of your 65. I think that adjustable air ride would be cheaper and nice. Have fun with your 65 and the community.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi 78 Elk! Im from Oregon. Looks like we are neighbors! :) I was leaning towards the air ride to. I am not mechanically inclined at all so I have been doing a lot of research recently. Thank you for your reply

·
Premium Member
1,755 Posts
You might have a little upward adjust-ability on those front coilovers. Maybe an inch up will give you the clearance you need.

Rick

·
Registered
368 Posts
Check to see of they are the right size coil-overs to start with. Some kits come with shorter than should coils.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,742 Posts
Welcome GG, I’m in Vancouver Wa glad to have you with us.

yes look to see if you can adjust the coil overs, maybe your exhaust needs to be tucked up more or rerouted a bit? Send pics when you can. Where in OR are you?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Long tube headers? You might check into some shorty headers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m out in Eugene for 4 years now. Tuck the exhaust? That definitely sounds like a good idea. Don’t know why it’s so low under the car. That’s the hard thing about this as there are many options I’m discovering and not sure which is the best one

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Short headers? That sounds fun I wonder though if that would make it louder as it’s pretty darn loud already haha

·
1,742 Posts
Here’s a better question, where is the exhaust hitting?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The exhaust scrapes at the muffler part at the middle of the car. I’ll try to add a pic tomorrow when I’m off work

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,359 Posts
had that problem with stock exhaust , then I went with the shorties headers, problem solved..

·
1,742 Posts
The exhaust scrapes at the muffler part at the middle of the car. I’ll try to add a pic tomorrow when I’m off work
rather than changing the headers, I’d try moving the muffler more towards the rear tire and up if possible, might be the cheaper fix,

im dealing with the same thing currently and I’m just changing the muffler style and location.

·
1,742 Posts
Thanks for the pics gilby. Thanks for the recommendation JKcamino
for sure, yeah that exhaust could be done a lot different looking at the pic👍

·
1,742 Posts
Where have I seen that girdle before. Oh wait I know!

you can kind of see what I’m dealing with

2031999C-2228-4133-8CA7-44E7F5EDC234.jpeg

·
Registered
528 Posts
Looks like the pipes after the mufflers could move up 6-8”. Does your axle hit those pipes on a good bump?
Tom

·
Registered
368 Posts
With as much clearance as you have JK, I'd be entertaining the idea of side exhaust right before those monster tires.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts