El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Looks like the pipes after the mufflers could move up 6-8”. Does your axle hit those pipes on a good bump?
Tom
Hi Hat and actually it might hit? Not sure as I recently just got it and haven’t been able to drive it. Starting to sound like it might be the best option to move exhaust to the rear tire like JK suggested

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,742 Posts
Wow that’s one slick ride. Hey nice differential! :) Does your exhaust come out the side JK? How is the sound while driving a lot of drone or does it sound nice?
on my signature click the little drop down arrow ,in my albums I have a ton of pics aswell.

no drone at all! It exits out the quarter panel in front of the tire

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you think you'll have any issues with exhaust heat and air bag proximity? I had air bag fail on a motorhome because the generator exhaust was too close to the air bag. Just thinking...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think the bags you have in there are lifetime warranty. You need to install wrap on the pipes or flashing on the springs.
Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys! So I recently purchased my dream car a few weeks ago but have been dealing with a problem. It’s a 65 and has 2 inch drop spindles with coil overs. It has a custom exhaust that only has 3 inches of ground clearance and scrapes when going down my driveway or over speed bumps. Should I just remove the drop spindles? Should I install an adjustable air ride suspension kit? Thanks for reading/replying

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go to a good exhaust shop and have them redo the system. I am running a 3 inch system all the way to the rear bumper and it is completely hidden. If you look close you can see the back of the mufflers. Run the system all the way to the back, you will have less cabin noise and no chance of exhaust fumes collecting under the car.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you just bought the car, then you must have liked the way it looked and drove, so... If nothing else is scraping other than the exhaust, I would try to have it redone to tuck in tighter ang give that extra clearance that you need. Just my opinion, but I think the 64-65's look best when their sitting low.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys! So I recently purchased my dream car a few weeks ago but have been dealing with a problem. It’s a 65 and has 2 inch drop spindles with coil overs. It has a custom exhaust that only has 3 inches of ground clearance and scrapes when going down my driveway or over speed bumps. Should I just remove the drop spindles? Should I install an adjustable air ride suspension kit? Thanks for reading/replying
One of the most common reasons for decreased exhaust clearance on our beloved Elky's deals with the transmission crossmember. If the stock one was retained, there is a good possibility that in order to make the custom exhaust work, they ran one side of the exhaust in the stock location provided for by the factory crossmember, and the other side "under" the factory crossmember which may (or may not,) have a provision for an exhaust pipe to pass either through or above it. If that is the case, only one side of the exhaust is scraping and it's the side that was added during the custom exhaust installation. Hope that helps.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,742 Posts
Lol

21 - 32 of 32 Posts