El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aight, I've been dealing with my exhaust smoking for the past few months... the smoke is blue in color which means valve seals or rings... BUT the smoke does not have the smell of burning oil... it smells like gas... and I've been told that it smells as if the engine is running way rich.. my question is this: could the engine in fact be running so rich that the gas is washing the cylinder wall, in effect causing it to burn oil?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Did you check to be sure you don't have a choke problem causing fuel to get into the crankcase? Or a leaky diaphragm in the fuel pump?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How do i check the fuel pump?

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
First, pull the dipstick to see if the oil is contaminated with fuel. You should be able to smell it also. If there is fuel, the oil will be fuller than normal......

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And even though it is a rebuild qjet with an electric choke, how do i check that?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil is always less than normal due to burning it

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oil from dipstick does have a gassy smell

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
visually check to see if choke blade is open when at operating temp. If fuel pump is internally leaking, oil level is usually way-high from my past experience

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I would start by looking down the carb with the engine at idle,if you can actually see fuel your problem may be the float or something related to the float if you are having excess fuel washing the cylinders.
If you think you're getting fuel in the oil you can see that sometimes by waitng for almost dark and then pulling the dipstick and waving a flame across the end of the dipstick where the oil is and if it immediately catches fire you most likely do have fuel in the oil.If it doesn't catch fire I would try a vacuum gauge to see what symptoms it can show if any.
Other than the smoke is the engine runing good or does it act like it's flooding out,running rough, etc?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I thought I had better come back and revise my previous post,I would start with testing the oil for gas with a flame and if it ignites do not run the engine because if it has fuel in the oil and that fuel ignites in the pan it can blow out the oil pan and the valve covers and can do other damage as well so be careful.
When you wave the dipstick through the flame if you get a flash flame it has gas!Oil will burn also but you usually have to hold it in a flame until it catches however if there is gas present it will catch immediately.
If you have fuel in the oil change the oil and filter and then only run it in short periods while you are trying to find where the fuel is coming from or you will be right back where you are now.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Other than the smoke it runs perfect, idles just right, pulls strong... but sometimes when its cold and i just start it... it acts like it aint getting fuel.. sputters a little bit then picks up and goes

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Blue smoke on start up ? does it go away after a little running? does it Puff a little smoke when you take off from a stop ? if its not smoking all the time,rings wouldn't be my guess, if its only when you start up, or setting at idle,do a compression check,could be just valve stem seals/valve guides.
:texas::beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts