El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I'm putting together my exhaust system - X pipe, two mufflers, two header collectors.
All the pipes are of the slip fit type.
Has anyone used a lap Band type clamp to connect pipes together with any success. Jegs and Summitt sell them.
I don't want to weld it and I don't want to use a standard U clamp as you cannot get the pipes apart in the future.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Iv seen em used on Powerblock TV so they cant be too bad. They say theyre helpful when you wanna swap out engines or trannys in the future: just unbolt your bands and go. Personally, Iv always welded mine but its up 2 u

·
0 Posts
That band is going to leak in a few months after it heats up and experiences a few road bumps. The best thing to do is weld it unless you plan on performing engine and tranny swaps every 2 months. A welded pipe ensures no leaks and will hold up for years before it fails. Think of it like this,would you rather do it the cheap easy way many times or do it the right way once? Its up to you and how good your patience is.....:poke:

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
Welding seems best.
If i do weld it, How about the area where the slip on piece that's expanded has the u notch. Do you weld around the U also?

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Band clamps can work pretty good if done right, I use a little permatex ultra copper where I HAVE to use band clamps to connect to my type headers. They have been off & back on several times. the rest of the system must have proper hangers to attempt to not have problems with bandclamps. They hold out better on later model setups where you have good modern factory engineered hangers.
So basically I think they are best used only where needed for quick release for trans removal & welded everywhere else possible.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
pipes exhaust systems uses them and they work very good if as stated above assembled correctly, not made for butt connections. they are made to seal slip fit connections ,they work better than round wire clamps and dont deform the pipe so they can be seperated later with ease.they make tweeking the exhaust easy. when you weld which is best ,if you need to tweek it you need to cut and weld again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts