El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
National Director
1965 El Camino
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife Cabagurl78 seldom logs on to this site but she did today so what does it have to do with Facebook, a lot. What caught her eye was a recent post on a thread started in 2010 when we first joined here. It got me thinking, Facebook has become such a big part of most people's lives they forget forums they once belonged to or would have belonged to. So again what does it have to do with Facebook. If you want a place that has archives and a wealth of information this is the place to be not to mention the social aspects.

If you want just the social aspects then Facebook is the place to be. So for you exclusive Facebookers, come on over and check us out.

Leo

Attachments

·
National Director
1965 El Camino
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ability to post pictures has improved here.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
1,561 Posts
I have a facebook account but I never go there.

·
National Director
1965 El Camino
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Facebook has just killed a lot of sites.Glad this one is still active.Though I would guess the vast majority of members do not post very often.:(
This site is funny. When we had a good search function I was the Region 2 Director. I could search just my region by when people last logged in. There were times when some would log in and their last log in was three to five years prior.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I went almost 5 years without logging into Facebook--finally realized how much time I was wasting on meaningless fluff.

Unfortunately when the pandemic hit, many of the web sites that kept track of upcoming car shows and events were abandoned and now "Wastebook" seems to be the only current up to date source for that info.

·
National Director
1965 El Camino
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THIS IS WHAT IT IS ALL ABOUT
We had a guy leave here due to personal issues who came back last night (13 hours ago) looking for his old pictures. He forgot his name and registered under a new name. Since then his old name has been found, new directions for a forgotten pass word given.

People jumped right in to help. TRY THAT WITH FACEBOOK

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
758 Posts
So I think my first poll was on this very topic, NECOA website or FB and it was a slam dunk for the website, 90% over 18% for FB. I have been a member since 08' a year before I joined FB and like I said in my poll question I had not really used the website very much in years. I wasn't a dislike for the website but more FB was just easier or more accessible at the time. But over time and with help from Steve (87next2last1) I realized there is a huge difference in the two, the website is a 100% devoted to El Camino lovers and yes GMC conquistador and sprint lovers ! The issue with the FB page is that it can quickly become more about other topics and decisions that aren't El camino based or even car based. I still think FB has it's part in the goal of getting information to help out our members to find parts or cruise meets or shows and share picture of video's. But the website will always be the home for El camino lovers and all is members will continue to make it great.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
So I think my first poll was on this very topic, NECOA website or FB and it was a slam dunk for the website, 90% over 18% for FB. I have been a member since 08' a year before I joined FB and like I said in my poll question I had not really used the website very much in years. I wasn't a dislike for the website but more FB was just easier or more accessible at the time. But over time and with help from Steve (87next2last1) I realized there is a huge difference in the two, the website is a 100% devoted to El Camino lovers and yes GMC conquistador and sprint lovers ! The issue with the FB page is that it can quickly become more about other topics and decisions that aren't El camino based or even car based. I still think FB has it's part in the goal of getting information to help out our members to find parts or cruise meets or shows and share picture of video's. But the website will always be the home for El camino lovers and all is members will continue to make it great.
You're right about this site being so much better than the FB page. They both have their place. I'm just thankful Steve is moderating the FB page! I've seen him kick out more than one bad apple!

I do wish we could work with the FB page better though. Would be nice to connect with more local owners and maybe organize a few meetups/cruises every year. Each region is pretty large so maybe we could post a page to help us find more locals? I don't know how to do something like that maybe someone here does?

Joe

·
Deputy National Director
9,623 Posts
You're right about this site being so much better than the FB page. They both have their place. I'm just thankful Steve is moderating the FB page! I've seen him kick out more than one bad apple!

I do wish we could work with the FB page better though. Would be nice to connect with more local owners and maybe organize a few meetups/cruises every year. Each region is pretty large so maybe we could post a page to help us find more locals? I don't know how to do something like that maybe someone here does?

Joe
I post my annual Gainesville Get-Together on the facebook group
I've tried to get people in other areas to try to start a new event thru out the country but no takers
Seems like nobody wants to do anything ?
Like they did have a annual show in cali ? & what happen to Belton ? & the show in the New England region ?

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Good old emails from the local car club event coordinator here in town gets me to the regional shows. This guy posts on Thursdays for what the upcoming weekend area events are and away I go.

No need for Facebook and I can't see me ever joining it. I despise their business model and the anger that their software causes.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Dave Lindsey has had his website SoCalCarCulture helping keeping us aware for many years.
About 100 items a month listed for SoCal.
Dave has also helped build support for car shows that help worthy charitable causes, like Crusin For A Cure and others.
Thank You Dave

SoCalCarCulture - Car Show and Events Calendar

·
National Director
1965 El Camino
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Joe
Steve is not only a Deputy National Director he is also a moderator here and does an excellent job.

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
758 Posts
Think I said it in my Poll about FB, use it like a tool ! Even with printed media I never read a newspaper or magazine from cover to cover, I only read the parts that I was interested in. Same with FB, they don't require you to read through all the mish mosh. You could just have pages for El camino's or G body's or hots rods, yes you need a profile account but if you don't except any requests but only people on the pages then everyone would be Elky people. Fortunately or unfortunately FB reaches a huge amount of people and that is what we need to find help or parts or cruise in for our hobby ! I remember searching for a set of rally wheels for my first 5th gen in CT, drove halfway across the state to find a set and paid way to much ! I put them on my Elky and the first time I drove it to work a guy came up to me and said Oh I have a set in my garage you can have if you want them ! Just sayin we all have our opinions on things but the main goal is to help one another and any media that helps us is a great thing !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts