El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was always told to never let a car battery sit on concrete or on the ground because it would drain it down.
I've never tried it to see but I know someone who has.
Words of wisdom or wifes tail!!:dontknow:
Donny

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I've never seen it happen since I was taught from a very early age to NEVER leave a battery sitting directly on concrete or on the ground. :dontknow: I was also told that if I EVER touched dust on the body of a car, my finger would break off! (My dad was a real walking encyclopedia of knowledge!) :poke:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Your Daddy was right! If you touched the dust on his car and scratched the paint spelling something in it...He would break your finger off :twisted:

As for car batteries:
Not anymore...Back when battery cases were made from a hard rubber like material, they were somewhat porous and had a high-carbon content that allowed electrical current to be conducted through it. When sitting on a damp concrete floor a weak circuit was formed and would eventually drain the battery...

But Current battery cases are made of ABS plastic and could sit on concrete indefinitely...If they are clean & Dry....I still put them on a wood shelf out of habit...

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Your Daddy was right! If you touched the dust on his car and scratched the paint spelling something in it...He would break your finger off :twisted:

LOL! One of the very first things I ever learned about cars!! DO NOT TOUCH!! :beer:

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had a guy charging a battery in the shop where I work (Military Installation) with it on the ground and it wasn't taking a charge. It was a military Hawker battery on a pulse charger. He couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming back up.

I told the kid to get it off the concrete, put 24 volts to it on the pulse charger until he got 12.5 volts.

He called "BS Old man, that is an old Wife's tale". The next day he had it on a bench shooting 24 volts to it and the battery was taking a charge and coming back up.

He told me "I guess you were right, everything I was taught in mechanic school said it was a wife's tale"

I wish El Camino's were as simple as Army Trucks:yell:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
..same way here, block of wood..

·
Venerated Member RIP
4,461 Posts
I had a guy charging a battery in the shop where I work (Military Installation) with it on the ground and it wasn't taking a charge. It was a military Hawker battery on a pulse charger. He couldn't figure out why it wasn't coming back up.

I told the kid to get it off the concrete, put 24 volts to it on the pulse charger until he got 12.5 volts.

He called "BS Old man, that is an old Wife's tale". The next day he had it on a bench shooting 24 volts to it and the battery was taking a charge and coming back up.

He told me "I guess you were right, everything I was taught in mechanic school said it was a wife's tale"
Like the Tee shirt says "Old Guys Rule":nanawrench:
Like most of us I put my battery on a wooden block or my bench.
Some old dogs don't like new tricks.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Tall tail or not,i have always charged battery's on wood,or the work bench,the last one i had seen on the floor being charged was at a friends shop,and it had the white,crusty stuff around the bottom,so there must be some truth,to the tail ! :texas::secret:

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Usually, by the time I get around to setting a battery on the floor----it has already turned into a paperweight.

·
Premium Member
2,535 Posts
As for car batteries:
Not anymore...Back when battery cases were made from a hard rubber like material, they were somewhat porous and had a high-carbon content that allowed electrical current to be conducted through it. When sitting on a damp concrete floor a weak circuit was formed and would eventually drain the battery...

But Current battery cases are made of ABS plastic and could sit on concrete indefinitely...If they are clean & Dry....I still put them on a wood shelf out of habit...
69/84 is correct. Most newer battery cases are plastic or polycarbonate. They don't have that problem. So, it depends on what the case is made of, I suspect.

Jack

·
Registered
168 Posts
I dunno but I've had three permanently die on the concrete so now I throw a cheap piece of carpet under them and it seems to help.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I'll agree that it 100% used to be a problem, but any traces of acid, dirt, etc can externally transfer enough to kill a battery.
Let all us older guys stay somewhat old fashoned, they can't take that away from us.:beer:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts