El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '68 Elky has some sort of air shocks in the back, I haven't had an opportunity to examine them closely so I can't elaborate on what they are. If they are factory installed, were they pressurized through that little quick-connect looking deal inside the little door next to the driver's door? That quick-connect looking deal has a cap on it that says "Fisher" and next to it is something that looks like a release valve. This whole setup looks factory and since I'm kinda new to El Caminos, I've never seen anything like this before. My Elky has a 12 bolt rear, however it came originally with a 307 and an automatic.
Can anybody tell me what I'm up against and fill me in?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes they are factory, the little cap is where you put the air in to raise the back of the bed and the release value is how you let the air out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Could you describe what it looks like better? 68 elkys did get factory air shocks, but the fill connection was under the bumper- NOT inside the cab(however they were inside the cab in 64-67 elkys- they came up at the rear shelf).

It could be someone ran the filler connection into the cab- but it wasn't that way from the factory...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Air Shocks

Ben is on mark. My '67 had the air fill in the stock location on the back shelf before my dad moved it to the rear bumper several years ago. In '68 GM moved it to the rear. Your's was probably retro fitted to it's present location. Factory air shocks were Delco's, but other manufacturers stepped up and produced them also.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my guess was right, this little deal is for the air shocks. I guess somebody with bodywork skills must have installed it in it's present location, which is on the outside on the driver's side, next to the driver's door. It is inside a little compartment with it's own door with a lock on it (key lost, of course!)
If anybody is interested, I can take a few photos and post them on this site if that is possible.
Thanks to you guys for responding, every little bit of information helps. :wink:

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I went through 2 sets of air shocks on my 1984. The dampening properties aren't the greatest on them. I ended up changing to KYB gasajust all around. It's much firmer, but really stick the wheels on the road. RR tracks are much better now, for instance. For loads, I have the air lift air bags in the springs. huge difference. I valved them separately so they would work independently & not affect each other's pressure (just a theory). I like the way tou have a range of 5-35 lbs. , instead of 25-200 lbs of air. They hold up better on a real heavy load (I have a camper). Who can drive up to a station with 200# of pressure these days too.

My 2cents, I love the results. See the project in the sig.
HTH
JC
----
John Christensen NECOA # 042 [email protected]
1984 El Camino ~ 350 CI ~ TH350C
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~johncgg/john/elcamino.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts