El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,
I'm trying to do my restore right in the sense that I want it to last as long as possible and done at the best quality... not concerned with stock status, but don't want to stray too far.
I was just placing my order for a Factory Master Bolt Kit and just found out there is an option to go stainless... I figure this is better for corrosion prevention, but read they may be more susceptible to damage by over torquing?

Are there any advantages on the original bolts over stainless? Pros and Cons?

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
If you use stainless, you will have to use never-seize or they will gall when you try to dis-assemble them.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I agree... stainless isn't worth the hassle.

AMK Products has the kits. (www.amkproducts.com) The bolt kits you find from Ground Up and others are from AMK.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Original Bolt Kit is an AMK... I'm not sure if the stainless set was as well or not... I just assumed it was, I was told about it over the phone by my parts dealer, it was an $250 where the AMK original kit was $200. I suppose in the long run I want whatever is more durable, especially since I am planning on using some of the bolts now prior to finishing the restore... I want them to be in as good of shape as possible after being tightened and loosened a more than once.

@rnhart... would you not lube brand new standard non-stainless bolts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input... decided to go with the original AMK set. It so relieving to know I'll never have to do a bolt search on this car again... (famous last words).

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Avoid SS bolts except small ones for dressing up under your hood. Stainless, especially cheaper poorer grades because they are brittle and may let you down. As some else mentioned you must always coat the SS threads with Never-Sieze. Just my dos centavos.Grade #8 hardware is the best steel bolts.:smileyb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts