El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 79 el camino 350 just went through emissions and the CO was too high.

We just replaced the distributor, dist cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires. She purrs so smooth.

I hadn't driven her in about a week, so before going to emissions I drove her about 3 miles up the freeway to blow her out, then back another 4 to emissions.
How do I fix it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unsure. There's an annual fee and says may require inspection...I guess I should look into it, but I don't think they give you a pass from emissions...

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
I always change the oil just before getting the emission test, regardless of the vehicle.

Since I didn't have any emission diagnostic equipment and no way to know if it's within tolerance, what I would do if I were you, as I used to do when my 84 needed the emission test in this county, I'd bring it to the local Chevy dealership and let them charge me to pass it.

I always make the car presentable before I bring it to the stealership with the presumption that they'll cut me a little slack or invest the additional couple minutes if necessary in order to get the car to pass. Logic that they will be almost as interested in seeing it stay on the road as I am.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They aren't that nice here.
But we have a mechanic that can take care of it. I just don't want to pay the extra $$$ if I can get around it.
One thing I read is that the engine temp could be too low. I have a 180 deg thermostat on it now because the OEM 195 degree is too hot for these Arizona temps. My car gets hot in a hurry.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,047 Posts
High CO readings is a result of incomplete combustion and usually indicates a rich fuel condition, and will be in the carb or FI system. Plugs and wires will never fix a CO failure. If you were running too lean you would see a HC failure indicating excessive combustion temps.

Changing your oil just before a test is often a good idea on an older car and higher coolant temp helps as well, but it wont solve your issue. Get your mechanic to adjust your carb using a tailpipe sniffer. He should be able to lean it out enough.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
here in TX the classic and antique tags don't require any kind of inspection. For regular tags, with no mileage restriction, over 25 years is just a safety inspection.

Cops seem to ignore the mileage and usage regulations, see cars all the time, not just parades or other car show events.
I have YOM plates on the '56 and have to have it safety inspected every year. Antique tags are the only ones exempt from inspections. Any other type registration requires inspections, and mine is due next month. The Elky was due inspection in Dec, and failed. Told the guy I'd see him in Jan. Elky was then 25 Y/O, and passed the safety inspection.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Were the parts replaced afterfailing emissions or before? Also, you need to drive more than a few miles before going in there. Running some type of fuel treatment such as chevron techron, especially on a low tank of gas may help some, but you need to run it enough first for that to do any good.If your catalytic convertor never has been changed, it should be.
the main thing that may help to lean out the mixture is slightly turning in the carb mixture screws. Raising idle speed a little may help you pass also. This is best done by someone who understands how to adjust idle mixture. When we had testing here in duval county ,fl for a few years, sometimes you would have to pay a shop with an exhaust gas analyzer to pretty much do what I described. On some older or modified vehicles, they were idling fairly high & barely running, then needed to be adjusted after to run correctly.
How far off were the #'s ,by the way?

·
Registered
67 Posts
In CT we only need to have emissions if it was an out of state registration prior. That's what I am faced with. I bought the car out of CT. Other than that a 27 yr old car wouldn't need an emissions test.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Standards of other states don't amount to a hill of beans. AZ has some strict standards just like CA. Make sure you have a hot motor, I 'll drive mine about twenty miles before testing, don't sit in a long line waiting for a test. If you have a O2 sensor, throw in a new one and as mentioned do an oil change just prior to testing. Just a few tips from a state that asks more than most..... Good luck!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
you can try putting a pint of alcohol in your tank with around a half a tank of fuel it will clean it up somewhat depending on how far off it was.the last time my tahoe failed on co the cat was dead

1 - 19 of 19 Posts