El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings.....I've just found ya'll here, and I must say after poking around the site for a half hour or so, I'm mighty impressed. Alright, I'll try to make this short and sweet. The other day, I noticed a 1960 El Camino parked in a driveway and stopped and left a note that I was interested in buying it. He called and said it was for sale and had an offer of 3k but was taking bids. The beauty in question, is a bit rough, but not bad. It runs and drives. It's spent it's entire life here in TX and he's the third owner. The original 283 is gone. He thinks it has a 305 in it now. 3 speed on the tree, linkage shot. Ball joints and tie rods bad.Doesn't look to ever have been hit and has all the original chrome in very good condition. Rust is showing through on lower edges of quarter panels in rear on both sides. It still sports the original metallic olive green paint everywhere. The interior is in decent shape but has had after market AC installed some time back. Windshield cracked. Crappy mismatched mag wheels cuz he said the original wheels had rusted and he threw em away(ouch!) Help? Fair Price?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Faire Price?

8O Hi ese, again...well, I'll tell you what I paid & you can see pic's on Member's Car's to get an idea, so here goes: Mine need's; Door Glass (x 2), Windshield (has crack's), Interior (had no carpet-headliner & 2 junky bucket seat's), some moulding (have all moulding, just that some is in bad shape), Exterior Mirror's, Real Tail Light Len's (have all but are broke), did not run (has a 350 Motor w/Powerglide Tran's, need's to be redone, has been sitting for year's)...I had to redo the Brake's Complete, got a Bench Seat for $30.00, have to straighten the sway bar (see in Air Shock's Pic), front end need's to be redone (everything) cleaned out the Gas Tank & repaired leak's, repaired hole's in the floor in cab, has rust in both quarter panel's (see in pic's also...most Elky's have this problem) & need's alot of odd's-n-end's done! I paid $1,000.00 for it (dosen't include the seat, shock's & other thing's I got lately) & I have been offere's $2,000.00 for it! Of course the answer is "NO"! :p Hope this help's you out..."SKULL"

·
Registered
159 Posts
I paid $600.00 for my 66 back in 1990, the 283 was not the original one, the kid blew the oil pump beating on it. Interior was shot, had a pair of ragged out camaro buckets, some rot and rust in the quarters, and the bed. The floorboards had several holes and had been patched with aluminum sheeting. If you are considering putting a 283 back in it, there is one available in Marble Falls, TX. It is a complete motor w/a powerglide attached, that is the only way the guy will let go of it. If you don't want the powerglide I can probably find someone here who would like to pick it up. All depends on what you want to do.
Kevin

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
It's hard to tell what the car would be worth especially without pictures. If it has a solid body and frame and the majority of the pieces are there, I guess I would ask is it worth it to you? What would you do to this car if you owned it? Do you want an original/restored 60 Elky...or will another (cheaper)Elky meet your needs? "One mans junk, another mans treasure"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the comments folks..... I'm trying to figure out if I'm up for this project. If I undertake it, it will mean alot of work to get this thing where'd I'd wanna take it. I don't think I have the gumption to restore it perfectly to stock. I'm thinking more of a fun ride that turns heads. I like the idea of returning to the 283, any idea what the gentleman would want for the 283 with the powerglide? Have they been rebuilt? I think I know what I'd be getting into as far as $$ and effort. Can I post pix of it here somewhere for you folks to see? thanx again for your help....ese

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'll try to get ahold of him in the next day or so and get back to you with the price.
Kevin

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
ese said:
Can I post pix of it here somewhere for you folks to see? thanx again for your help....ese
Go here to register for free web space here at ECC. This will allow you to post pictures... :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts