El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i found a 1988 monte carlo for sale for $650 i just want the rear end since its a g body but i dont think its a ss so what would the ratio be? would it be posi? would it even be a upgrade since its not a ss rear end

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Plenty of info on the site about that do a search to find more info. If its a factory posi it should have a metal tag hanging off one of the cover bolts. If not jack up the rear of the car, put it in neutral and turn one of the rear tires if the other one turns in the same direction you scored, if opposite it's a peg leg. As far as gears I think the SS had ether 3.41 or 3.73's
Don't forget to grab the sway bar if you don't already have one.
Ang.

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
All SS's in '87 & '88 were 3.73's, Posi was an option.

Here the URL where there is a chart of the rear axle codes found on the front side of the passenger side tube, looks like you want to see 2TH.

http://www.g-body.org/tnt/diffs/diff-codes.php

·
Deputy Director Region 3 NJ Participating Member
2,087 Posts
BTW, that's what I have in my '87 EC, a '87 Monte SS 3.73 posi.

Swap is easy and it came with the rear sway bar which was NOT on the car originally!

·
Registered
929 Posts
If it is a non SS monte carlo, the ratio will more than likely not be great. Here's how to tell if the codes are unreadable or missing:

Jack up the back of the car, put the car in neutral, spin one of the rear wheels, if the other wheel spins in the same direction, it is a posi. If it spins in the opposite direction, it is an open differential. If the car is a posi, spin one of the tires a full revolution, and have someone watch how many times the driveshaft turns, if it turns roughly two and half times, you probably have something like a 2.41 or a 2.56 ratio, the amount of times it turns is the rear end ratio. If the car has an open differential, you will need to chuck one of the wheels and keep it from turning while you turn the other wheel on the other side that is not chucked. Do the same thing and count the rotations of the driveshaft again.

I used that method when I bought a monte SS rear end.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea but i was wondering what the ratio would be if its not a ss ...might just see if i can test drive the car then do a burnout to see if its posi :smileyb:

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
If it is a non SS monte carlo, the ratio will more than likely not be great. Here's how to tell if the codes are unreadable or missing:

Jack up the back of the car, put the car in neutral, spin one of the rear wheels, if the other wheel spins in the same direction, it is a posi. If it spins in the opposite direction, it is an open differential. If the car is a posi, spin one of the tires a full revolution, and have someone watch how many times the driveshaft turns, if it turns roughly two and half times, you probably have something like a 2.41 or a 2.56 ratio, the amount of times it turns is the rear end ratio. If the car has an open differential, you will need to chuck one of the wheels and keep it from turning while you turn the other wheel on the other side that is not chucked. Do the same thing and count the rotations of the driveshaft again.

I used that method when I bought a monte SS rear end.
What Mike and I said that way you kill two birds with one stone, know if it's posi and know what gears it has.

·
Registered
929 Posts
yea but i was wondering what the ratio would be if its not a ss ...might just see if i can test drive the car then do a burnout to see if its posi :smileyb:
The ratios were all over the place. My el camino came with a 2.41 rear stock and my cutlass had a 2.41 rear aswell. Someone could have ordered it with 2.73s and posi, open etc. Dropping in a MC SS rear with 3.73s was worth every penny, my 0-60 time increased dramatically, it no longer lugs in OD, it's just a happier car. Although sometimes I wish I had waited and saved up for a stronger rear, i'm really happy with it.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The Monte Carlo SS rear end isnt any stronger then whats in your car now. Some Camaro and S10s come with 3.42 and 3.73 gears and a posi.
For $650 you could get a new Auburn posi and a set of gears maybe some new axles from Summit racing or jegs.

Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts