El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:new_ukliam2:
My Elco is my daily driver and I'd like to swap it over to EFI and I like to do it as cheap as possible. Well, cheap as possible might be to get a junkyard TBI setup from a 80s van or something, so maybe not that. Not looking for huge power gains or anything (definitely don't want any loss, of course. Currently have 600cfm Demon vacuum secondary). What I do want, though, is for my engine to start up super easy no matter how cold or hot, and adjust to altitude fine. I want my 48 year old car to behave *a tiny bit* more like a 10 year old car.

I normally would be all about ordering a megasquirt kit and soldering it up and picking and choosing the parts I need, but I just have too many other projects at this point in my life to dedicate that time to it.

I was really leaning towards a FiTech setup. Either the Go Street EFI 400HP or the Easy Street EFI 600HP, they are their two cheapest ones and seem plenty suited to my needs. I am unsure of the difference between the two, though. Even though the motor is built aggressive, it is street-able, and it's a 327, so I doubt I'll need to exceed their 400HP unit.

A guy said he would sell me a new-in-box F.A.S.T. EZ-EFI 1.0 for $600. Cheaper than a brand new FiTech. I have read alot of negative reviews of the F.A.S.T. and the biggest thing is that it doesn't like to work very well with manual transmissions (I've got a 4 speed).

For fuel pump I've heard that a mid-90s Caprice tank will fit right into an A-body. Should be an easy junkyard find. Do I then bypass my mechanical fuel pump?

Any input is appreciated.

For those who say I could get performance just as good out of a carb, even the one I've got: yeah, I could, but to get it tuned perfect I would need to invest in stuff (jet kits, digital afr gauge, a new electric choke (I don't think mine's working well at all), vacuum gauge, etc.) While these aren't huge expenses, they add up and I still have to dedicate time to learn how to get my carb tuned properly. I would much rather those dollars go to an EFI system that will hopefully save me time and money in the future when I get the best mileage as I can get, don't have to wait for the car to warm up before it wants to move, don't have to replace fouled spark plugs, etc.

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
I've installed several of the FITech units. Only one of the 400HP units. They have all worked great so far with minimal tinkering. The 400HP unit went on a stock cam 350 bored 0.030. It was basically a plug and play. Didn't want to slow down to idle correctly even after warm. Turned out to be a faulty temp sensor out of the box. changed it and BINGO.
The 600hp unit gives you some more adjust-ability in the software. If it you are close to stock you won't need it.
You're mechanical pump will be useless and can go away.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,044 Posts
The injection unit is the easy part and they all, give or take minor fluctuations, have been shown to work admirably. I just installed a Holley sniper system on my 530 hp big block and the car starts right up - idles the way it should and generally is just splendid driving around.
My fuel economy on freeway driving also lept more than I ever expected, along the lines of 12-13%.
Getting the fuel system set up right seems like it would be the trickiest. Each of the various self-learning systems out there run on a different fuel pressure and you want to get that right. Once you add in the cost of the fuel system that $600 ez-efi is easily approaching $1200.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember seeing something mentioning internal fuel pressure regulator. I reckon I would just need to pump in some minimum pressure and it would deal with it from there. I don't remember which unit, though.

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
FITech and Holley Sniper both have built in fuel regulators. They run at about 58 psi.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Having to buy extra parts for fuel regulator for the FAST setup might make it so it's not actually any cheaper than getting a new FiTech. Also buying the FAST setup from some guy would not include any sort of warranty.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm leaning towards FiTech. Primarily because the opinions online seem to be much more positive towards FiTech than towards F.A.S.T.

I need to figure out how to do fuel delivery. I don't want to get any of the fuel delivery systems offered by companies like FiTech, Holley, or similar, because I feel like it could be done for a fraction of their prices. The two options I'm thinking about are:

1. Spectra SP159A1H at RockAuto. Seems like it would do the job fine, and just over a hundred bucks. Downside is that reviews seem to say it doesn't fit into a stock A-body tank hole.

2. Junkyard option. Get the in-tank fuel pump out of some fuel injected GM vehicle. Vehicle recommendations would be great so I don't have to spend a whole day just dropping gas tanks at the salvage yard.

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
Just did an A body and there just is no angle in the stock tank for a pump. The owner bought a tank setup for it. It has a drop at the front center to allow clearance between the body and the lines and is a little thicker at the front. Came with new straps to accommodate the thicker tank.
Jay "skinyfisher" just did his a body (el chromeo). A pm to him will get you some good info.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My two cents, would be to go with the new FiTech EFI. The Fast EZ EFI 1.0 is older, fast is now selling the 2.0. I do not know when they went from 1.0 to 2.0 so the age of that new in the box system is still questionable. Plus I have yet to purchase a FiTech unit, however I have contacted them before and asked a few questions and they were quick to respond and knowledgeable on the subject.

·
Registered
1966 El Camino
2,044 Posts
Just did an A body and there just is no angle in the stock tank for a pump. The owner bought a tank setup for it. It has a drop at the front center to allow clearance between the body and the lines and is a little thicker at the front. Came with new straps to accommodate the thicker tank.
Jay "skinyfisher" just did his a body (el chromeo). A pm to him will get you some good info.
Used an OEM tank for my '66, installed holleys in tank pump in the flat area with no problem, their pickup system called "Hydramat" I think covers almost half the width of the tank, have driven it to well below 1/4 tank and have had no issues with sloshing fuel being a problem. 2nd gen though is almost certainly vastly different than a 3rd gen tank.

I don't want to get any of the fuel delivery systems offered by companies like FiTech, Holley, or similar, because I feel like it could be done for a fraction of their prices.

There is usually a cheaper way to go about it, especially if you are good at fabrication, one thing about an in-tank pump that struck me when I was working out my system is that this is not one of those things you want to go and dig out after it fails so whatever system you get be sure its as quality a pump as you can find.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My understanding is that in-tank is the way to go, after all there's a reason engineers do it that way from the factory. However, I am open to doing an in-line pump for the time being if it would be cheaper, then later switching over to in-tank. Does anyone have any input about getting an in-tank pump from a junkyard? The caprice/roadmaster tanks are supposed to be a similar size. I don't even need the whole tank, just the pump from it.

·
Premium Member
5,853 Posts
The caprice/roadmaster tanks is what is being used in the 5th gens. Top of the tank in a 70 is almost flat and a 5th gen has a big hump.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If you are thinking of changing fuel tanks to use for an EFI system, I wouldn’t even think of using a junk yard tank. It’s hard enough to filter the gas well enough with a clean tank so introducing a junk yard tank is just asking for problems. IMHO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am a Holley EFI dealer, Installer and Dyno tuning center with more Holley certifications that anyone on the planet...well I was until my Pitbull ate several of them. The Holley systems are cheap compared to others if you look at what they come with and what their capable of without any add ons. With the use of the available global files that come with the system setting up a proper tune is easy for even the EFI beginner. Self tuning is fast and easy. I have installed these units for 5 years now without 1 failure or tuning problems in classics, hot rods and offshore style boats ranging from stock to 1300 HP. We also do a lot of service for Holley customers that have had issues with systems the customers installed and it has always been improper installation, wrong file or bad wiring practices from not reading the instructions.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just ordered the system! I went with the FiTech Easy Street 600 HP one. I am still unsure what the difference is between this and their 400HP option at the same price. I'm hoping it's not a lower quality or anything. I will update y'all on my thoughts once I get it installed and running. For the fuel system I went with a universal inline electric fuel pump, 25' of 3/8" fuel hose, and a filter for before and after the pump, totaling about $100 on Amazon. (Remember the idea here is as budget. Maybe not as cheap as humanly possible, but still on a budget). I also put in an order for new AC Delco spark plugs from RockAuto so I can start the new system with fresh plugs. I'm looking at between $900 and $950 right now, but once I get it installed I will sell the Demon carb to lower that expense. Being a daily driver, I'll probably break even in fuel savings sometime over the summer. I'm excited for the conversion! My dad keeps saying anyone who switches from carb to FI has more money than sense, but neither his fuel injected '99 Sierra nor his carbureted '74 Honda CB run half as good as they could, so I'm not sure where he is coming from.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Conrad,

I too have the FiTech Easy Street 600HP. I am very happy with it. It has been on my Elky for almost 2 years now. I have the older model with the smaller diameter wires. Yours should have the thicker power wire for the elec fuel pump. I bought a new gas tank that has a baffle in it and a in-tank pump.

I don't remember all the differences between the 400hp and 600hp models, but the 600hp should have everything you need if it's going to be a daily driver.

I am no expert by any means, but if you have any questions, just ask.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have no personal experience with the Fitech systems. I went with the EZ EFI 2.0 and my builder, who is a Holley dealer, said he likes it. He also said that he has installed Fitech at other customers request and has had a difficult time with their tech support. He said that it was SO BAD, that when he was installing one of their 2 X 4 bbl EFI set-ups that he had to call his Holley tech support line to get it sorted out. Take that for what it's worth, and good luck with whatever you choose! :2gunsfiring:

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Don't forget return line (3.8") to tank. You can drop your tank, remove the sender and old output line unit. Cut off old output line an inch or so below the mount plate and out a return hose to about 1/4 to 1/2 from the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
565 Posts
He also said that he has installed Fitech at other customers request and has had a difficult time with their tech support. He said that it was SO BAD, that when he was installing one of their 2 X 4 bbl EFI set-ups that he had to call his Holley tech support line to get it sorted out.

I have a FITech and understand what you’re talking about. They have one of their main tech guys who is such a douche that if I ever happen to meet him in person at some car event it will be hard to resist the urge to knock his head off his shoulders. Bryce is his name I think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts