El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 86 with the 305 and 4 Qjet ... CA setup...car had been sitting for 8 years...has 62,000 original miles...I have a fast idle which, I have drained the tank, run about 8 Gallons of gas through the tank, have now 4 oz of Marvel oil in gas (to 14 Gallons)Of course flushed radiator, and changed oil and filter twice, I have checked for vac leaks, (none) replaced fuel filter twice (both times clean), checked timing (correct)...and replace air filter, new spark plug wires, new plugs, new cap rotor, and coil... there was a lot of gunk in the cooling system (engine part not radiator...it was stopped by thermostat)not rust but some kind of white salt looking gunk that had stopped at the thermostat before top hose (flushed out completely)...this car while bought in CA is registered in AZ, and does not need to qualify for reg with smog junk on it, however I have left it all on...any one have any ideas as to where to go next on the fast idle problem!

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the most common cause is the fast idle cam and the secondary shaft sticking. put your finger between the choke housing and carb body and push down on the green fast idle cam .if that doesnt get it off of fast idle try pulling forward on the arm sticking up from the driverside secondary shaft.if the shaft is sticking lube it real good untill free. if the choke is sticking you need to make sure the choke is getting power to open it in the first place

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
X2 on clean choke linkage.
A couple of other (odd?) things you might check too:
Idle previously adjusted up to overcome an unrepaired EGR issue?
MAP sensor connections to ECM and vacuum? (With MAP off line the ECM will think air temp is always cold and there will be fast idle)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes just went out and followed the advice and freed up the idle cam...I had already taken a test of voltage to the choke and it showed with in guidelines so I assumed it was working see they are right about the word assume it really does make and ass out of me...:yell:....but now every thing is working great...runs a little rough at Idle...but at this point I am thinking it maybe the mystery oil in it and I will wait to do any more until I run this tank thru...thanks guys for all your input...now I have to decide to keep this one and add it to my other garage Elky Babes...this is the Conquesta Model fully loaded but I was not so much a fan of this Gen El Camino...maybe it will grow on me...or maybe I can convince my wife to give up her Chevy truck and use this as a daily driver...hmmm, I think I may start a plot...

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - Supporting Member
6,209 Posts
You can still check to see if the EGR is any of the rough at low RPM cause. Take it out of the loop by pulling the vac line and block that, not the valve. And a timing check/adjustment could be done before running through that tank of fuel too. Uhhh...Not at the same time

:beer:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
You actually did not state what the problem is,is it idling fast all of time(steady) or is the idle varing?Is the idle fast but rough ETC.
The white crystals are common for a vehicle that has sat for awhile just be sure you have cleaned the system well.
If the idle is fast and smooth the problem may be the the pull off is not working and not disengaging the fast idle cam or you may have loose bolts on the carb causing a vacuum leak and so on.
I'm not picking on you but you need to be as discriptive as possible with what you are hearing and what the engine is doing in order to get a better list of possibilities to the problem.I hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up, no problem I haven't felt picked on since my drill sergeant kicked me in the butt in basic in 1968...LOL...:smileyb:it is fast idle all the time..but shifts fine and does not clunk going in to gear from neutral, and runs at speed with no problem and does't overheat or run on after the key is turned off. I checked the carb bolts they are tight,I am thinking since this is not any longer a CA car and I do not have to worry about smog certs, maybe I will go to an after market intake and carb....the car has a lot of power and is fairly quick for a 305, and runs, (except for the fast idle) like new...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Check all of the vacuum hoses and vacuum switches for leaks.On the passenger side of the carb primary shaft there is a cam that is for col start fast idle cam if the choke pulloff(passenger side rear of carb) is not working, you can pull back on the plunger and hit the throttle or just look for the can and use your finger to drop the throttle off of the can to get to a lower idle.
Another possiblity is the fast idle soleniod,check the plunger to see if it posibbly could be holding the throttle open.
I'm sure there are other possibilties but these will get you started.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts