El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,663 Posts
You actually did not state what the problem is,is it idling fast all of time(steady) or is the idle varing?Is the idle fast but rough ETC.
The white crystals are common for a vehicle that has sat for awhile just be sure you have cleaned the system well.
If the idle is fast and smooth the problem may be the the pull off is not working and not disengaging the fast idle cam or you may have loose bolts on the carb causing a vacuum leak and so on.
I'm not picking on you but you need to be as discriptive as possible with what you are hearing and what the engine is doing in order to get a better list of possibilities to the problem.I hope this helps.

· Registered
1,663 Posts
Check all of the vacuum hoses and vacuum switches for leaks.On the passenger side of the carb primary shaft there is a cam that is for col start fast idle cam if the choke pulloff(passenger side rear of carb) is not working, you can pull back on the plunger and hit the throttle or just look for the can and use your finger to drop the throttle off of the can to get to a lower idle.
Another possiblity is the fast idle soleniod,check the plunger to see if it posibbly could be holding the throttle open.
I'm sure there are other possibilties but these will get you started.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.