El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 86 with the 305 and 4 Qjet ... CA setup...car had been sitting for 8 years...has 62,000 original miles...I have a fast idle which, I have drained the tank, run about 8 Gallons of gas through the tank, have now 4 oz of Marvel oil in gas (to 14 Gallons)Of course flushed radiator, and changed oil and filter twice, I have checked for vac leaks, (none) replaced fuel filter twice (both times clean), checked timing (correct)...and replace air filter, new spark plug wires, new plugs, new cap rotor, and coil... there was a lot of gunk in the cooling system (engine part not radiator...it was stopped by thermostat)not rust but some kind of white salt looking gunk that had stopped at the thermostat before top hose (flushed out completely)...this car while bought in CA is registered in AZ, and does not need to qualify for reg with smog junk on it, however I have left it all on...any one have any ideas as to where to go next on the fast idle problem!

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes just went out and followed the advice and freed up the idle cam...I had already taken a test of voltage to the choke and it showed with in guidelines so I assumed it was working see they are right about the word assume it really does make and ass out of me...:yell:....but now every thing is working great...runs a little rough at Idle...but at this point I am thinking it maybe the mystery oil in it and I will wait to do any more until I run this tank thru...thanks guys for all your input...now I have to decide to keep this one and add it to my other garage Elky Babes...this is the Conquesta Model fully loaded but I was not so much a fan of this Gen El Camino...maybe it will grow on me...or maybe I can convince my wife to give up her Chevy truck and use this as a daily driver...hmmm, I think I may start a plot...

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads up, no problem I haven't felt picked on since my drill sergeant kicked me in the butt in basic in 1968...LOL...:smileyb:it is fast idle all the time..but shifts fine and does not clunk going in to gear from neutral, and runs at speed with no problem and does't overheat or run on after the key is turned off. I checked the carb bolts they are tight,I am thinking since this is not any longer a CA car and I do not have to worry about smog certs, maybe I will go to an after market intake and carb....the car has a lot of power and is fairly quick for a 305, and runs, (except for the fast idle) like new...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.