El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here guys, I'm Rick and I have a 68 elky custom. Looked for two years befor finding my new toy. Wrenched at a GM dealership for twenty years,hung it up and now do it for fun.
My question is the front fenders have holes in them to mount emblems,but I have gotten Malibu and chevelle emblems and neither fit,I know there's ss 396 emblems.anyone have an awnser to fit.Holes there's four two toward the front are at an angle and up and down the second set are right behind the front two and are angled but go sideways? HELP!:confused2::confused2::confused2:

Rick
Ps nice to be here with all you elky lovers I've always wanted a elky and now I have one .look foward to chatting with you all ,and awnsering your questions if possible

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
Rick,

I don't know what fender emblems your truck is supposed to have but I'm guessing the fender could be 68 or 69 and may have had emblems for SS, Chevelle, El Camino, Sprint, maybe a multiple with one emblem the model and the other the engine or maybe the word custom. If it was me, I'd decide what emblems I want/need and make it work.

Just think, when you were at the GM dealership you could have been stocking up on emblems and mldgs from the parts department at wholesale. What an investment!

Later,
Jim

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
welcome from Wisconsin
trying to remember its been 25 yrs ago that i had my 68 if memory serves correct it had custom and v flags on the front fenders. but who knows what the previous owner did to the car it was 20yrs old when i bought it

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jim
No kidding I do have couple of toolbox drawers full of misc parts and I have used some , pays to save some stuff.Im still in good with the dealerships parts guy so part not a problem for my newer truck but the 68's a different story.

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
Rick,
Are the holes forward or rear of the front wheel? If forward, probably V flags. If rear, probably ElCamino and Custom but I'm only guessing. My GM Parts and Illustration catalogs don't have any '68 illustrations or 8.147 El Camino plates, emblems.
Jim

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim the holes are behind the wheel openings, four holes in a close pattern like the chevelle emblem on the header panel on the front , so I got some chevelle emblems but there not right.the stock 68 emblems show Malibu emblems but I got those and there not even close.
I don't see anything after looking around that's a fit for the car.i don't want to fill the holes and paint as it was just freshly done right befor I got her.
Something will come up to work or make work I hope, for now each fender just gets to have four holes in it looks kinda dumb but what's a guy to do?
Keep on truck'n and hope for the best I guess.thanks for your input Jim.

Rick:dontknow:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts