El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm trying to decide if I want to get some fiberglass fenders and hood for my 78 elky, but was wondering if any one knows the weight savings for the fenders? I'm looking at the ones from USbody.com or vfnfiberglass.com . Any one know stock fender weights or how much weight it saves?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to lose weight. Gonna be my Street Car/ Weekend racer. Trying to do an Autocross minded build and want to lose some front end weight for a closer to 50/50 distribution. But, it's a lot of money if it's only a few pounds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the unexpected. :) I have things I'd LOVE to do that I'm sure has NEVER been seen on an elky, but money won't allow...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
There was a 66 Camino in autocross,,, looked to be fast!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a fender and I will try to get the weight,, I dont think you are going to save that much weight,, the steel fenders are fairly light,, Matty man

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
My 65 Gibson weighs 11 pounds. I don't have a Fender. Hope this helps..:nanawrench:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
My 65 Gibson weighs 11 pounds. I don't have a Fender. Hope this helps..:nanawrench:
xxx

xxx
:withstupid::help::anyone::beer:

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
If you're gonna go fiberglass fenders , I might consider vfn by reputation , but NOT us body source.
Get an aluminum ls1 & set it back further than stock. So-Cal shop did a 12" setback on an ls7 for spectre.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Save your money. Not much weight to be saved, the stock steel fenders are light already. As stated earlier, go with an aluminum LS1, set it back some, gut out whatever you can on the interior that isn't to be used, fiberglass hood if anything and let it go. I doubt you would ever achieve 50/50 weight on an El Camino, the front ends are just too heavy to distribute all that weight evenly in my opinion. Would be nice to free up about 300 pounds off the front end at least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts