El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a question for some of you veteran elky restorers. Me myself, I'am almost 16 and have purchased a 1973 El Camino SS for my first car and it's going to take some restoring. The man I bought it from told me about the front right fender and that it appeared that it was in a previous wreck. Whomever fixed it did a terrible job at replacing it for they left a very unsightly gap between the fender and the hood. the man I bought it from suggested to just replace the entire fender, so thats what I'm going to do. I would appreciate and help on locating a 73 front passenger side fender and also any helpful tips or tricks on replacing it.

Thank you,
73Fanatic

·
Registered
224 Posts
You should be able to find a decent rust free replacement down there in the salvage yards. Any chevelle fender from 73-77 will fit.
When you remove the old one from your car make note of fender shims and location. The fender extension is probably easier to remove after it is off the car.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hmmm... Actually, I am pretty confident that a Chevelle fender would work. Emblem holes will be in the wrong place, but welding and drilling would fix that. Since it's a SS, it wouldn't have the chrome, so no need to worry about those holes and studs (which was why I sought out a woodgrain wagon for my fender replacement).

The only thing I can think of to be careful about is this: Most 1973's used a Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP) inner fender. Most 1974-1977's (at least, those I have seen) used a stamped steel inner fender. As I recall from my fender replacement back in the day, the fenders designed to work with the FRP part had an extra support with an additional row of bolt holes welded to the inside between the inner and outer edges. I don't think the fenders designed for the steel inner fender had these. I know that the GM NOS "'73 to '77" fender I ordered did not have it, and I made the dealership take it back and went junkyarding instead because I was concerned that with less support the FRP might crack. It probably wouldn't, but I was being paranoid.

I could be wrong in my recollection (it's been over a decade), but I'm pretty sure on that... It's an easy check, since it's not a subtle position thing, either the bolt holes are there or they are not.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I went looking for a parts interchangeability table but didn't find one.

You could be right. I know that prior years used Wagon parts or Elky Parts only say gen 3s, most of the things like fenders and core support and grill, bumpers etc.. needed to be taken from a wagon or an Elky. the 4th gens share the bumpers of the wagon and some share the tank. I would also believe that the frame is wagon not Chevelle. It has always been my understanding that the "Smuggler's Box" is just the rest of the back floor pan for a wagon.

When the chassis changed to the Monty/Chevelle/El Camino (late "A" body) then the box became the trunk riser for the sedans. Or that was my understanding. So the 5th gens would share a lot of common parts. Then they became too expensive to produce, but then I digress!

So anyway since the Elky and the Wagon has shared so much in the 4th and 3rd generation I naturally "assumed" that the Wagon or the Elky is interchangeable 100%. Chevrolet Maintenance manual lists it as "4 Door Station Wagon 2-Seat A-Car" along with the Malibu and the Monty Carlo although the Monty is actually listed as "A" Body Special.

So who knows! 8O

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the all the helpful details i will be sure to let my dad know this because he is helping me track down a fender and also helping replace it.
Also, just one more thing, I was thinking of changing my flat hood but I don't know if I want a cowl induction hood. I can't find anyothers so again I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
73fanatic

·
Registered
224 Posts
The fender I used for my 77 GMC Sprint was off of a 73 Chevelle 4 door.
I just had to drill all the holes for the trim.
For hood scoops since GM didn't have any factory scoops for that generation you will probably have to go with an aftermarket fiberglass one
you can try this place for scoops http://www.up22.com/ :-D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts