El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to put a stock flat fiberglass hood (bolt on) on my 79 el camino. does anybody have an experience with any places and could point me in a direction.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
up22.com
They have inconsistent quality and usually require lots of finish work to make perfect...But sometimes they are the only source for uncommon stuff...I needed a scoop that only they had last year and it was warped...they were no help and I was in a hurry, so I cut it and re-glassed it into shape...sucked, but worked!

Unless you need the weight reduction, try to find a metal hood for the street...You will need lighter springs for the Glass hood....

·
Registered
351 Posts
I put a harwood glass hood on mine, it's the one that is finished on the underside also 4 inch. It's just as heavy as stock hood. It does warp and a lot went in to it to make the fit just ok. Stay with the stock hood if you can.

Don

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Get a goodmark flat steel hood,,, like 69/84 stated the fiberglass are a pain,, unlimited fiberglass have been hit & miss ,, some people get a great product and others not so much,, I got a Nova hood with little flaws,, if you where closer I have a aftermarket flat steel hood for sale,,, Matty man,, I purchased a 2 in cowl from Goodmark,,, very nice hood,,,,

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well im cutting a hole in the center to put a bug catcher up through the hood. ive heard so many mixed reviews about their quality and their customer service i was very hesitant to order through them. thanks for your reply

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get a goodmark flat steel hood,,, like 69/84 stated the fiberglass are a pain,, unlimited fiberglass have been hit & miss ,, some people get a great product and others not so much,, I got a Nova hood with little flaws,, if you where closer I have a aftermarket flat steel hood for sale,,, Matty man,, I purchased a 2 in cowl from Goodmark,,, very nice hood,,,,
i had thought about doing a steel hood, but i want to cut a hole in the center for my super charger. ive got the roll-pans that are fiberglass that replaced my chrome bumpers and they were a pain but steel is harder to finish nicely, or they way that we want.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a harwood glass hood on mine, it's the one that is finished on the underside also 4 inch. It's just as heavy as stock hood. It does warp and a lot went in to it to make the fit just ok. Stay with the stock hood if you can.

Don
is it a lift off?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Don't get me wrong the hood looks ok but I think I could have welded a steel scoop on my stock hood and had the body guys smooth it in before paint for a lot less $$$$.

Don

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do you have a dirt racing track near you The race cars I think have fiberglass hood. The drivers can point you in the right direction or a boat repair shop can make you one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts