El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 0 experience finishing fiberglass. How will a fiberglass hood look on an otherwise sheet metal body after finished? Will it be obvious the hood is not the same material as the rest of the body? Will the process be the same or will it need a different type of paint/primer?

Any pros/cons to the fiberglass?

I would probably prefer to replace with a metal hood, though it seems options are limited- I don’t want to spend $300 + $200 on shipping for a metal hood when I can have a fiberglass one in hand for little over $200.

This is for the ‘80 I’m building my wife. Around town “grandma cruiser” no racing or anything so not worried about a light hood flying up, just looks.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
I have 0 experience finishing fiberglass. How will a fiberglass hood look on an otherwise sheet metal body after finished? Will it be obvious the hood is not the same material as the rest of the body? Will the process be the same or will it need a different type of paint/primer?

I would probably prefer to replace with a metal hood, though it seems options are limited- I don’t want to spend $300 + $200 on shipping for a metal hood when I can have a fiberglass one in hand for little over $200.

This is for the ‘80 I’m building my wife. Around town “grandma cruiser” no racing or anything so not worried about a light hood flying up, just looks.
I have never come across an aftermarket fiberglass hood that I would feel happy to install on any car I own other than maybe a full on drag car and I have been doing body work professionally since 1981. I have also not seen even one that comes close to a factory built fiberglass hood such as the 2002 camaro z28 or the ss style hoods, and the corvette hoods.

I'm sure someone will argue with me, but an aftermarket fiberglass hood will require about 6 labor hours (at $50 per hr) in a body shop to get it smooth enough to rival a steel hood and will still never look great after a few years in the sun. Sorry, that's just the way it is. Your question about the hood being obvious that it's fiberglass? Yes, especially to someone with a good eye. Save up for a Goodmark steel hood (or a good original from someone in your area). I have put Goodmark hoods on several different body styles and feel good recommending, and will be using one on my personal car when I get to the paint job!

Joe

Joe

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Joe. I was thinking along the same lines myself. I’ll see if National Parts can come up with one, they’re only a little over an hour from me. Steel hood is not on their website right now but I know they have different stuff coming and going. I’ll give them a call.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Even though I bought a quality steel cowl hood for my car, it still required fit and finish work. BUT not nearly as much as the fiberglass unit I originally bought.

Reactions: 87ls5.3

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,556 Posts
IMO

If you want a fiberglass hood, only buy from VFN

Look at my Elco and you tell me where the metal starts or ends.

depending where you get it painted, your going to have fitment issues with metal or glass, when it comes to body shops 50hr may sound good but if they Don’t come recommended then I’d move on to one that is.

fiberglass is for racing pure and simple. But fiberglass can last just as long aswell, if you take care of it and it was done correctly to begin with.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I would definitely rather have steel than fiberglass but at more than double the price on an already tight budget build I was considering options. I’m a few months out from needing it so will keep my eyes open for something available within driving distance. I’ll be doing all the fit and finish work myself and am much more comfortable working with metal than fiberglass.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,556 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I would definitely rather have steel than fiberglass but at more than double the price on an already tight budget build I was considering options. I’m a few months out from needing it so will keep my eyes open for something available within driving distance. I’ll be doing all the fit and finish work myself and am much more comfortable working with metal than fiberglass.
check your local wrecking yards they have to have something for 100 bucks, I know there are plenty 5gen parts here in Vancouver Portland area

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
check your local wrecking yards they have to have something for 100 bucks, I know there are plenty 5gen parts here in Vancouver Portland area
In this area, it’s hard to find much of anything older than the early 2000’s at a junk yard. I’ve checked all the yards in the Tampa Bay Area- no el Caminos to be found, nor their sister vehicles from the same era.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Check with a local body shop (check several, even the insurance repair only types). A lot of the replacement sheetmetal places they use daily carry or can get Goodmark. You may find a friendly guy who’ll order a steel hood and have it delivered with their next order. (I used to work at a parts warehouse in Atlanta and we had a supplier who delivered crash parts and Goodmark). Even if it costs you $50 or pizza for the shop it’ll be cheaper!
Patrick

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,711 Posts
Had fiberglass hood on my street/strip 83 & fit fine with just little sanding
I had the lift off & it was a pain to keep taking off & on
So you if you do go with fiberglass I would do the bolt on with hinges

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check with a local body shop (check several, even the insurance repair only types). A lot of the replacement sheetmetal places they use daily carry or can get Goodmark. You may find a friendly guy who’ll order a steel hood and have it delivered with their next order. (I used to work at a parts warehouse in Atlanta and we had a supplier who delivered crash parts and Goodmark). Even if it costs you $50 or pizza for the shop it’ll be cheaper!
Patrick
That’s a great idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I never saw one that didn't look like a fiberglass hood, sorry... They do save a lot of weight, and right where you need it..

·
Registered
668 Posts
I have a fiberglass hood on my '79. Your question was "can you tell the difference in the finish between the fiberglass and the metal". The answer is: no. I can't on mine at least. However, I think you can get a metal hood to fit better than one of fiberglass.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts

I have a fiberglass hood on my resto-mod '65....the only downside I have seen so far is that at above about 70 mph, I get some lifting in the front corners of the hood....considering going to hood pins or electric latches to hold it down, as I spend a fair amount of time above 70....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts