El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to get started on a frame off restoration for my '79. Looking at building a rolling dolly to set the body on, something vaguely similar to this:

I'd like to mimic all of the body mount locations on the frame, so I know the whole car is square when I start replacing metal. Trying to decide if I should build it to set body bushings between the dolly and the body, or make them all hard mounting points. Either way, I'm trying to nail down all the measurements for the mounting points. My service manual has this photo, but it only lists measurements for "station wagons" and "everything else." El Caminos have a longer wheelbase, so not sure which numbers to use. It's also missing measurements between a few of the bushing locations.

Has anyone done anything similar, or have any advice?

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
If I recall correctly the EC frame is identical to the Malibu SW in G-body format. There is some discussion here that late 70's / early 80's A-body turned G-body. I've not heard the same frame information is true for A-body ECs and SWs.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wagons and sedans have the same wheelbase, but the El Camino's is about 9 inches longer. The rear frame sections on wagons and El Caminos are different from a sedan because of the spare tire location in a sedan. I've also read that there are differences in the length of the front frame horns between different sedans depending on which nose the car has.

Unfortunately I don't have either of my El Camino's at the house yet to start taking measurements. I was hoping to start building the dolly before they get here, but I may have to wait.

I'm also debating adding a bolt on extension to mount the front clip to the rest of the car once I finally get it ready to paint.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts