El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend i'm planning on finally getting my 355/2004R combo into my camino. I've been told and per the instructions of my TCI torque convert that it needs to be filled with fluid before installation. I'm wondering do I need to worry about it draining back into the transmission and defeating the purpose of filling it in the first place? I'm going to plug the end of the transmission but that's about it. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I don't know how (or why) it doesn't drain back, but it doesn't. In fact, when you fill it, you will realize that filling it is surprisingly difficult! You basically add a little bit of fluid and watch it appear to fill up. Then you kind of slosh it around a little and the level slowly drops. Rinse, repeat.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know how (or why) it doesn't drain back, but it doesn't. In fact, when you fill it, you will realize that filling it is surprisingly difficult! You basically add a little bit of fluid and watch it appear to fill up. Then you kind of slosh it around a little and the level slowly drops. Rinse, repeat.
Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to hear. Now I can get this drive train bolted in before it gets freezing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
a few months ago i did a turbo 350 swap behind a 383 in my brothers 84. even tho you fill it, it will probably be low. so once you get it all together, top it off (the tyranny) run it, then check it. I'm willing to bet that (full) tyranny will drop to 3/4 or below once its running. :You_Rock:

word of advice. that kick down cable is crazy delicate. I've broken more than I like to admit not paying attention. :let_it_all_out:

·
Deputy Director, Region 3 PA (west)
1,573 Posts
That's exactly why the mfr recommends pre-filling. The convertor will fill itself when run, but it takes a long time and uses up quite a bit of fluid, so it makes for a drastic fluid level variation inside the trans. If you pre-fill the convertor, you can then add the amount of fluid thru the dipstick tube normally used for a filer change and be darn close.

Bill

·
TrannyMike
2,808 Posts
Converters usually have a little pre-lube or grease on the parts. We add about 1/2 quart to the converter so it has some ATF in it before starting the motor. This trans with a stock converter takes 10 1/2 qts. Put 1/2 qt in the converter, install the trans, put 4 qts into the filler tube, OPEN ALL OF THE OTHER BOTTLES OF FLUID BEFORE STARTING MOTOR!!!, start motor, add 5 more qts of fluid quickly. This trans can suck it up as fast as you can put it in. At this point you'll have 9 1/2 qts in it, put it into every gear selection 3 times, check level, you should need 1 more qt, add it, road test car and recheck the level one more time. That's it! Then go burn some rubber, LOL!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Converters usually have a little pre-lube or grease on the parts. We add about 1/2 quart to the converter so it has some ATF in it before starting the motor.
So what you're saying is I didn't need to fill it with 3 quarts? I didn't spill much, i'm a little impressed with myself.

Going to update my build thread tomorrow. Engine/trans combo is hanging from the forklift tonight and getting dropped in tomorrow morning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts