El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
About three weeks ago I did an engine swap and went from my bone stock 305 to a rebuilt 350. I was going to get a mild crate motor from Jegs and was negotiating with a local friend/mechanic to do the job. I noticed a small block in his shop in the corner and enquired about it. It needed a rebuild but he sold me the 4 bolt main motor with 1.94 intake and 1.5 exhaust valves (76cc) for $100.00. He put a cam in the motor that was a little too extreme for the street. When I got the car back it had great power but had little brake vacuum and since it was a low compression motor it had trouble running the AC with that big of a lope. Honestly, my stock quadrajet didnt want to play nicely with that cam.
He sold the cam to a friend and i bought an Edelbrock 2102 street cam and he swapped it out. What a difference! Motor still has a lope but has brake vacuum and idles awesome! What a transformation over the 305! She's fun to drive!
July 2 she is going in the shop to have 3.08 gears and a detroit trutrac installed! Currently I have a 2.41 open rear. Also adding a rear sway bar. That should be sweet. Cant wait for Pismo.
Robert, if you get stuck on your install, my friend does good work for about $60.00/hour. He could probably swap your motors for $500.00 to $600.00
RTT:beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Hello All,
About three weeks ago I did an engine swap and went from my bone stock 305 to a rebuilt 350. I was going to get a mild crate motor from Jegs and was negotiating with a local friend/mechanic to do the job. I noticed a small block in his shop in the corner and enquired about it. It needed a rebuild but he sold me the 4 bolt main motor with 1.94 intake and 1.5 exhaust valves (76cc) for $100.00. He put a cam in the motor that was a little too extreme for the street. When I got the car back it had great power but had little brake vacuum and since it was a low compression motor it had trouble running the AC with that big of a lope. Honestly, my stock quadrajet didnt want to play nicely with that cam.
He sold the cam to a friend and i bought an Edelbrock 2102 street cam and he swapped it out. What a difference! Motor still has a lope but has brake vacuum and idles awesome! What a transformation over the 305! She's fun to drive!
July 2 she is going in the shop to have 3.08 gears and a detroit trutrac installed! Currently I have a 2.41 open rear. Also adding a rear sway bar. That should be sweet. Cant wait for Pismo.
Robert, if you get stuck on your install, my friend does good work for about $60.00/hour. He could probably swap your motors for $500.00 to $600.00
RTT:beer:
I'm glad you got it right and thanks for the info but Rich is helping mew with the swap and it should turn out fine. The only thing different on my 350 is the intake manifold and flex plate so this should be a smooth transplant with few obstacles and be cruz'n with you to pismo. We will meet somewhere on the freeway with the guys from S/D.

ROBERT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts